Texas..pulling a non-registered trailer mounted sprayer down public road legal?

Help Support CattleToday:

greybeard

Reaction score
I need to pull my little spray rig over to my sister's place, down a FM road. 6'x8' single axle trailer with empty 330 gal tote tank on it. I'll use her tractor once I get there, about 6 miles away. I know most ag equipment needs no registration or lic plate to move on the highway but dunno about a trailer pulled behind my pickup.
Need anything besides that orange triangle on the back?

greybeard":2gfd3pyz said:
I need to pull my little spray rig over to my sister's place, down a FM road. 6'x8' single axle trailer with empty 330 gal tote tank on it. I'll use her tractor once I get there, about 6 miles away. I know most ag equipment needs no registration or lic plate to move on the highway but dunno about a trailer pulled behind my pickup.
If its a farm trailer you don't need anything. If it don't have lights or triangle, you could get some grief for "safety reasons". I quit running plates on my stock trailer.

No lights, fenders or anything else currently. Ball hitch and a safety chain, but I can get that stupid triangle thing.

greybeard":1e8qnkij said:
No lights, fenders or anything else currently. Ball hitch and a safety chain, but I can get that stupid triangle thing.
You better around here you can pull almost anything as long as it has the triangle

SteppedInIt":1mmt45v8 said:
greybeard":1mmt45v8 said:
If its a farm trailer you don't need anything. If it don't have lights or triangle, you could get some grief for "safety reasons". I quit running plates on my stock trailer.

That will get you a ticket. State thinks they can't do without that $5 registration fee.

The problem is the police don't know the dam laws. And they really get offended when YOU try to educate them. I've fought so many of these kinda tickets I've lost count. Won some lost some.

They all do seem to know that a hay trailer requires nothing. I'm currently working on plan s to mount a roll of hay on top of my compressor....might work on your sprayer

We've never had plates on our stock trailer. Was told as long as your using it for your own farm use you don't need them.

TexasBred":1sjr8p6s said:
SteppedInIt":1sjr8p6s said:
greybeard":1sjr8p6s said:

That will get you a ticket. State thinks they can't do without that $5 registration fee.
Went to 9.75 this year.

callmefence":1y2opnwr said:
The problem is the police don't know the dam laws. And they really get offended when YOU try to educate them. I've fought so many of these kinda tickets I've lost count. Won some lost some.

They all do seem to know that a hay trailer requires nothing. I'm currently working on plan s to mount a roll of hay on top of my compressor....might work on your sprayer

That might work :)
I've run into the uneducated LEOs before too. They got plenty of time to write a ticket but not enough time to see what the law actually says or if it really applies to the situation at hand.

greybeard":33n39wab said:
callmefence":33n39wab said:

That might work :)
I've run into the uneducated LEOs before too. They got plenty of time to write a ticket but not enough time to see what the law actually says or if it really applies to the situation at hand.

Here in Ky, they have access to legal advice while on patrol etc. I've only managed to get them to call it once, and then back down. They usually just insist they are right, and don't call.

The DOT produces a manual. I had a copy of it in the truck for awhile, but I haven't been stopped. It states no registration required for farm trailers up to the 30k range, I believe.

options for load types.

Motor Carrier Registration
The Texas motor carrier registration requirements as they apply to farmers and farm equipment dealers, are:
1. Operators of commercial motor vehicles that meet the following criteria must register with TxDMV as motor carriers:
• A vehicle (or combination of vehicles) with a gross weight, registered
weight, or gross weight rating exceeding 26,000 pounds, that is designed or used for transportation of cargo in furtherance of any commercial enterprise;
• A commercial motor vehicle owned or controlled by someone who is not a
U.S. citizen or does not live in the U.S.
2. Operators of the following types of vehicles are not required to register with
TxDMV:
• A farm vehicle with a gross weight, registered weight, and gross weight rating of less than 48,000 pounds;
• A cotton vehicle registered with Texas cotton vehicle specialty license plate.
To register online or obtain more information on motor carrier registration, visit the TxDMV website at www.TxD M V.go v .

Oversize/Overweight Permits
All vehicles and loads exceeding Texas legal size and weight limits must obtain an oversize/overweight permit from the TxDMV.
• Legal Width - 8 feet, 6 inches
• Legal Height - 14 feet
• Legal Length - Varies based on vehicles and combinations*
• Legal Gross Weight - 80,000 pounds*

Implement of Husbandry Permits (Annual) - $270 +
• Issued for the transport of implements of husbandry - vehicles designed and adapted for use as a farm implement, machinery, or tool for tilling the soil. Also includes feed trucks, in-tow fertilizer/chemical spreaders, self-propelled machinery designed or adapted to apply plant food materials or agricultural chemicals but not "designed or adapted for the sole purpose of transporting the materials or chemicals."
• Size Limits - 16 feet wide, 16 feet high, 110 feet overall length
• Weight Limit - 254,300 pounds (May not exceed maximum permissible weights.)
• Operating Authority - Texas Motor Carrier Registration, if applicable.
• Fees - $270 permit fee plus the Highway Maintenance Fee (HMF) determined by the gross weight. (HMFs range from $150 - $375.)
• Route Restrictions - Travel is allowed on all state-maintained roadways. May not travel on load restricted roads/bridges when exceeding posted capacity.
General Permit (Single-Trip) - $60 +
• Issued for the transport of loads that cannot be reasonably dismantled.
• Width, Height, Length, and Weight Limits - Unlimited*
• Operating Authority - Texas Motor Carrier Registration, if applicable.
• Fees - $60 permit fee. If exceeding legal gross weight, an additional Highway
Maintenance Fee (HMF) will be charged. (HMFs range from $150 - $375.)
• Route Restrictions - Travel is allowed on all state-maintained roadways (may
not exceed 16 feet wide on Interstate highways). May not travel on load restricted roads/bridges when exceeding posted capacity.
*Vehicles/loads exceeding 20 feet wide, 18 feet-11 inches high, 125 feet long, or
200,000 pounds must comply with Super Heavy guidelines. Visit the TxDMV
website for more information, www .TxDM V.gov .
Cylindrical Bales of Hay Permit (Annual) - $10

Over Axle/Over Gross Weight Tolerance Permit (Annual) - Fees Vary
• Issued to transport commodities that reasonably can be dismantled.
• Size Limits - All dimensions must be legal.
• Weight Limits - Axle weight tolerances are based on the commodity hauled.
Tolerances may not exceed 5 percent of the allowable gross weight based
upon the federal Bridge Gross Weight Formula.
 Vehicles hauling agricultural commodities to the first point of processing may exceed allowable axle weight by a tolerance of 12 percent. (Wood chips originating at forest location qualify as agricultural.)
 Vehicles hauling non-agricultural commodities may exceed allowable axle weight by a tolerance of 10 percent.
• Operating Authority
 Agricultural Commodities - Texas Motor Carrier Registration, if applicable.
 Non-agricultural Commodities - Texas Motor Carrier Registration AND must have a $15,000 bond (Over Axle/Over Gross Weight Tolerance Permit Bond) or an Irrevocable Letter of Credit on file with the TxDMV.
• Fees
 Base fee - $90, and
 Administrative fee - $5, and
 County fee - based on the number of counties applied for: 1-5, $175; 6-20,
$250; 21-40, $450; 41-60, $625; 61-80, $800; 81-100, $900; and 101-254,
$1000.
• Route Restrictions - Travel is allowed on county roads and state-maintained roadways, excluding Interstate highways, in counties listed on permit. May not travel on a load restricted bridge when exceeding posted capacity unless it provides the only public vehicular access to origin or destination.
Timber Permit (Annual) - $900
• Issued to transport unrefined timber, wood chips or woody biomass.
• Size Limits - All dimensions must be legal.
• Weight Limits - Tandem axle group weights may be up to 44,000 pounds provided the gross weight does not exceed 84,000 pounds.
• Operating Authority - Texas Motor Carrier Registration AND must have a
$15,000 bond (Timber Permit Bond) or an Irrevocable Letter of Credit on file with the TxDMV.
• Route Restrictions - Travel is allowed on county roads and state-maintained roadways, excluding Interstate highways, in the timber counties listed on the permit. Permit may only be issued for travel in the timber counties listed in the most recent edition of Texas A&M's Harvest Trend Report.

For more information on oversize/overweight permits, visit the TxDMV website or call 1-800-299-1700 and select the menu option for the desired topic.

A Guide to Moving Farm Equipment and Agricultural Products in Texas

I have pulled a hay buggy all over through 3 different counties. No lights or tags. Never had an issue.

BK9954":g4i8krc7 said:
I have pulled a hay buggy all over through 3 different counties. No lights or tags. Never had an issue.
I'm not bragging and I'm sure the day is coming when I get an AH stop me, but I haven't had plates on my flatbed since I've owned it. I have been stopped a couple times pulling a low boy with out of date registration by years. It was usually cuz a "light was out" at night and couldn't see the other one. Nothing said and this was traveling on all types of roads, through multiple counties. In all cases though, it was for farm purposes.

Latest posts