Texas Longhorn

Help Support CattleToday:

jwggriff

Reaction score
Can anyone advise me on how to put weight on Longhorn cattle. I have 8 head I've just bought, and have 60 acres. Two of them have 5 month old calves (steers), but I'm concerned they are still underweight. I will try and post a pic.

I would think that most places in your area, 60 acres should have adequate forage available for 8 head. However, I know there are always exceptions.

Longhorns are just like any other breed of cattle. If they are underweight, and do not have adequate forage available, then supplementing them some could be your best option. Adequate body condition score is essential this time of year, heading into winter, as the quality of the grass diminishes. You might be able to get by with just supplementing hay, or might look into cubes or some other form of feed.

Also, make sure they are up to date with all vaccinations and deworming. That is very important, too.

Genetics, health, forage quality. I've got some longhorns such that won't show more that 4-5 on the scale no matter how well I have vaccinated/wormed and fed on springtime ryegrass. I've also got some tigerstripes that can eat poor quality grass and barely fit down the loading chute.

My vote is to print Ryan's note and tape it to your refrigerator door. Good luck.

I have to admit, Proverbs weighed in with some darned good points too. Then again, it is hard to go wrong with Proverbs.

Latest posts