Texas. How much does a " trich" test cost?

Help Support CattleToday:

Angus Cowman":18qqpftn said:
Kingfisher":18qqpftn said:
How much does one of these test cost? Can it be administered on the farm? Thanks in advance.
I am not in Texas but had a bull done recently the test cost me $35 and $7 for overnight shipping got the results back in 7-10 days

Thank your sir. How do you administer it?

Angus Cowman":292gvoy3 said:
Kingfisher":292gvoy3 said:
How much does one of these test cost? Can it be administered on the farm? Thanks in advance.
I am not in Texas but had a bull done recently the test cost me $35 and $7 for overnight shipping got the results back in 7-10 days

Kingfisher":3b5xhfc8 said:
I heard about 20.00. How do you administer the test? Thanks in advance.

YOU don't as far as I know. Has to be done by a vet. My understanding is they insert a swab in the bulls sheath and take a sample to be cultured.

3waycross":3fjl6r6c said:
Kingfisher":3fjl6r6c said:

YOU don't as far as I know. Has to be done by a vet. My understanding is they insert a swab in the bulls sheath and take a sample to be cultured.

Your right on the testing method. Not all the vets have been certified by the state here yet.
I attended a seminar put on by TAMU and the state vet gave the class. The test cost right now are around a 100 dollars.

3waycross":3rymxnvh said:
Kingfisher":3rymxnvh said:

actually it isn't a swab but a straw and itwill makee you gringe watching them take the sample :eek: :eek:

Caustic Burno":28jvyqdo said:
3waycross":28jvyqdo said:
Kingfisher":28jvyqdo said:

Your right on the testing method. Not all the vets have been certified by the state here yet.
I attended a seminar put on by TAMU and the state vet gave the class. The test cost right now are around a 100 dollars.
I wonder why Texas is charging so much more for their testing than Missouri

Cost depends upon your vet.

Does he/she charge a ranch call plus the cost of testing? or just the cost of testing?

...and yes, it'll make you cringe when they syringe in the "wash" and then cram a tube around inside and then use the syringe to draw out the wash to put into a test tube to send to the lab... yikes!

DavisBeefmasters":367eb3cu said:
Cost depends upon your vet.

Does he/she charge a ranch call plus the cost of testing? or just the cost of testing?

...and yes, it'll make you cringe when they syringe in the "wash" and then cram a tube around inside and then use the syringe to draw out the wash to put into a test tube to send to the lab... yikes!
I haven't ever had a vet use any "wash" or draw it out the all just take cell samples from inside the sheath with a straw

and then they deposit the sample into a specimen baggie with some kind of solution in it
I guess different vets use different methods

Just called a couple of local vets regarding Trich testing for bulls. One said they didn't do it, they other said $85.

My question is, as far as lease bulls go, how are people handling it. Does the bull get tested prior to turn-out and then tested again prior to going back to the lessor to insure it is clean upon return? Or if both parties agree, no testing is done?
Also, who would inforce this type of stuff on leased bulls?

Our large animal Vet who is 45 miles away charges $56.25 for the test. After figuring our fuel costs for round trip, it costs us about $85 for the test.

Another poster commented on leased bulls..."do a trich test before and after the lease?" To comply fully with State Law, my guess would be that a leased bull would need to be tested before and after. Think it also says that ANYTIME a service age bull is moved from one property to another (aka different owner or lessee) that a Trich test must be performed. Only certified virgin bulls (via a Vet "certificate") can move without testing.

Since trichomoniasis is a reportable disease in Texas, well, you know the rest of the story...

Latest posts