Texas Drought Assistance Grant Program

Help Support CattleToday:

cowboy44

Reaction score
Texas was allocated about 16 million for the program I received my check yesterday with a note inside saying Rates were based on total head claimed, final per head rates were $6.72 for beef cattle and 1.34 for sheep. I received enough to but 4 round bales of hay. I have sold out half of my herd because of drought I am now down to 40 head and in a survival mode we have not had any rain since October also the note said this was taxable income don't think I will have to worry about because I have enought losses to show

Ours is to be disbursed in a week or so in the form of a voucher.

It came to $4.81 per head of cows who have had calves.

Glad I wasn't depending on it. :mad:

MikeC":19hj6lnz said:

What will we do with this "voucher?" Can we take it to the bank?

alabama":s0sfv10g said:
MikeC":s0sfv10g said:

What will we do with this "voucher?" Can we take it to the bank?

Feed stores, I presume.

alabama":32ri34ca said:
Do you know where I can read about it?

Nothing to read. I called the state office, and after about an hour of being left on hold, I finally got someone who knew a little about it.

They also told me that it has to go through the state appropriations again for the second time. :lol:

If FSA had disbursed it, we would have gotten more and much quicker. But it was an election year????????????????

cowboy44":fgpa3nk5 said:
Texas was allocated about 16 million for the program I received my check yesterday with a note inside saying Rates were based on total head claimed, final per head rates were $6.72 for beef cattle and 1.34 for sheep. I received enough to but 4 round bales of hay. I have sold out half of my herd because of drought I am now down to 40 head and in a survival mode we have not had any rain since October also the note said this was taxable income don't think I will have to worry about because I have enought losses to show

I am supprised you got any. My county agent stated he did not knwo wwhen if ever they would come out.

cowboy44 said:
Texas was allocated about 16 million for the program I received my check yesterday with a note inside saying Rates were based on total head claimed, final per head rates were $6.72 for beef cattle and 1.34 for sheep.

That is pitiful! Surely they could have done more.

Are you talking about the program through TDA? I got an actual check in the mail.. no voucher. My feed man will be glad to see it!

Certainly not enough to make any hay or put water in the tanks, but better than nothing.

TheBullLady":q88utu99 said:
Are you talking about the program through TDA? I got an actual check in the mail.. no voucher. My feed man will be glad to see it!

Certainly not enough to make any hay or put water in the tanks, but better than nothing.
we got the check friday.dang sure wont buy enough hay if we run out.but itll help on the feed bill for awhile.

It is real funny that the dates they call for is well after most of us have sold off a lot of out cow and calves.
Then we cull again and now they want to know how many we have. Nothing for the feed and the hay we have allready had to buy. The tax man is going to be real unhappy this year. I guess Don't look a gift horse in the mouth. Just take the money and pay a bill and go on. Marry Christmas and Happy New Year to all.

Cattleman200":3qtpb6c1 said:

Glad I wasn't depending on it.

Mike, Im happy somebody got a little help. It was terrible here too and Cullman County didnt get squat.

Circle H Ranch
http://www.chrlimousin.com

I think it was only the 31 southern most counties in the state that got help.

My buddy who runs the FSA office here told me they made the decision based on infrared satellite pictures. He went on to say that the energy content of the grass or "sugar" in it was below a certain level in our area.

Funny part is.................there was no grass at all. Much less grass with sugar. :shock:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Cattleman200 wrote:
Quote:

Glad I wasn't depending on it.

Mike, Im happy somebody got a little help. It was terrible here too and Cullman County didnt get squat.

Circle H Ranch

I think it was only the 31 southern most counties in the state that got help.

My buddy who runs the FSA office here told me they made the decision based on infrared satellite pictures. He went on to say that the energy content of the grass or "sugar" in it was below a certain level in our area.

Funny part is.................there was no grass at all. Much less grass with sugar.

If they scanned my place they didnt see ANY grass. Muchless sugar in the grass.

Circle H Ranch

If they scanned my place they didnt see ANY grass. Muchless sugar in the grass.

Circle H Ranch

We can only hope and pray that things will be better this comming year.

You know Robert Summerford up that way? He's in the Char business and a real good guy.

You know Robert Summerford up that way? He's in the Char business and a real good guy.

Yes I know him and his family well. I went to school with him. His brother and I were in the same class in high school. I only live about 10 minutes fro Robert. Also Roberts grandmother was my fourth grade teacher.

Circle H Ranch

Cattleman200":1i5skgga said:

Yes I know him and his family well. I went to school with him. His brother and I were in the same class in high school. I only live about 10 minutes fro Robert. Also Roberts grandmother was my fourth grade teacher.

Circle H Ranch

Small world. :lol:

Today, I found out that here in Missouri, the payout was $3.98 per adult cow. No payout on bulls or yearlings or calves.

Stocky, I saw a list of the counties a few weeks ago and it was mostly the left side of the state of MO.

But we did have it a little better than you all, some of the area farmers are finally letting go of their better hay now and several are advertising alfalfa/grass hay for sale.

Latest posts