Texas – Ag Sales Tax Exemption Change

Help Support CattleToday:

James T

Reaction score
It looks like those of us involved in Texas agriculture will have to get a registration number to continue our sales tax exemption on items outside "the list". Other states may already have something like this but it's all new for Texas. Historically, all we had to do was fill out a short and simple form for the vendor stating name, address, phone and business purpose. Guess I'll have to be careful about getting the exemption on my new swimming pool. I mean stock tank. :eek:

"With the passage of HB 268 earlier this year, beginning Jan. 1, a person claiming an exemption from sales tax on the purchase of agriculture items must provide a registration number, which will be issued by the comptroller."

"Farmers and ranchers will have a tax exemption number, which would be presented to sellers to be exempt from sales and use taxes when making agricultural purchases. The agriculture tax exemption number is received from the state comptroller, who can be reached by calling toll free 1-800-252-5555, or at" http://www.window.state.tx.us/taxinfo/agriculture.

"…the bill has nothing to do with the more popular and widely used local property tax agriculture exemption. This new law also does not change the list of items which the current sales tax exemption applies in any way."

Sent mine off nearly two months ago and nothing yet. Trying to get a live person on that number is almost impossible. Or should I say impossible as I haven't been able to yet.

In Virginia all we have to do is sign a form. But just a few miles away in Tennessee I had to get a Tax exempt number. Not a big deal but took a couple of weeks.

Caustic Burno":1ovojg3g said:
Sent mine off nearly two months ago and nothing yet. Trying to get a live person on that number is almost impossible. Or should I say impossible as I haven't been able to yet.
did mine online last week

Did mine online today ... Hope it comes in the mail .. it said it would mail out tomm . So we will see ...

JSCATTLE":3tif26tu said:
Did mine online today ... Hope it comes in the mail .. it said it would mail out tommorow . So we will see ...
haven't gotten mine so id really be surprised if mail out tomorrow to be the case.......but surprises do happen

1982vett":4o58etys said:
JSCATTLE":4o58etys said:
Did mine online today ... Hope it comes in the mail .. it said it would mail out tommorow . So we will see ...
haven't gotten mine so id really be surprised if mail out tomorrow to be the case.......but surprises do happen

I sent mine in right after the news came out and the online service wasn't avalable yet.
It is coming by snail mail.
It might be in the mail box now and I wouldn't have a clue.
I told the wife I was going to stand on Hwy 146 and wave at the Impala as it has been going back and forth for the last two weeks, having to take care of grandkid's. DIL had a high risk preganacy and Pa Pa and Nanny were called to duty. Last grandson got here about an hour ago. I am going back to the woods tomorrow and not coming out till next spring.

I did mine online this week and received my number and temporary card online immediately after finishing the application. Took it to my feed store and they ran a copy to keep on file so that I won't have to present my card every time I buy something that's tax exempt for ag use.

I've tried twice to do mine online and both times I got an error message at the very end. Guess I'll give it another try before I mail it in.

Slick, if you don't get all the blanks filled in properly, it will throw it back at you. I had to go back and forth several times to get everything filled in like they wanted.

Yeah, the mistakes show up in red and the program won't continue on until they are fixed. The error message showing when it was submitted is what kicked my butt. Happened again today so I'm going to mail it in.

Caustic Burno":gq91fp7l said:

try online takes about 15 minutes and then you can print out your number cut it out and put it in your wallet.

hurleyjd":2y5hoprb said:
Caustic Burno":2y5hoprb said:

try online takes about 15 minutes and then you can print out your number cut it out and put it in your wallet.

Mine came in yesterday.

Latest posts