Property Tax Increases

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
Have 11 acres that I cleared and turned into pasture.
Value went from $29,000 to $114,000 😳😳
We have +/- 250 acres = $13,000 taxes.
Our tax went up over 100% on some tracts that are just deep woods.
Real estate market still hot in this area of the mountains.
Screenshot_20231208-053814.png

Mine went up but nothing like that! They raised the property value to tax us more. Read that we will be taxed out of our homes soon enough If this continues.

Our taxes in Texas have been going up also. In our area over 50% of the property taxes go to the school system and nobody throws money away faster than the public school system.
I believe approx 70% of ours goes to schools. However as soon as I am 65 we don't have to pay tax for school district.

Will they actually lower your taxes, or just allocate the school funds to other departments?
I think 70-75 percent of my property tax goes to schools. We get no break, they tax us as long as we are breathing.

There is usually an appeal process if you are not happy with your property assessment.
My tax bill on 1900ac with house and yard is $6000 more reasonable than I thought after seeing what others are paying.

View attachment 38048

I'd be considering lodging a dispute on that tax rise with the eleven acres. It's agricultural land, isn't it? Not something being developed for a subdivision or some other kind of improved use?

The taxes and insurance on real estate is crazy. I expect that a lot of fixed income people that have worked all their lives and set themselves up for an easy retirement are now pulling their hair out. Even with a paid for home the taxes and insurance are getting to the point that they are as high as payment when the real estate was being financed.

And of course social security isn't ever going to fill those gaps.

I'd be considering lodging a dispute on that tax rise with the eleven acres. It's agricultural land, isn't it? Not something being developed for a subdivision or some other kind of improved use?

The taxes and insurance on real estate is crazy. I expect that a lot of fixed income people that have worked all their lives and set themselves up for an easy retirement are now pulling their hair out. Even with a paid for home the taxes and insurance are getting to the point that they are as high as payment when the real estate was being financed.

I just got it rezoned agricultural in May. Hoping taxes go down.

On the subject of insurance, our homeowners/property insurance has gone up over $500 on our recent bill, and my health insurance jumped up significantly more too recently.

I'd be considering lodging a dispute
Well worth it in our experience. Disputed taxes on oil royalties a few years ago and our taxes were significantly reduced. Yeah, they just estimate in advance what it will be, as opposed to how many barrels were actually produced. It's cyclical. And we disputed the back 40 that is used strictly for hunting because there is no direct access by road. Last year the state decided to slap a hefty personal property tax on all UTV's - unless you appeal and have it approved that any UTV you own is strictly for farm/ranch. Which we did, and actually got a refund for the tax we already paid. Plus, they added a permanent exemption in our files, so we don't have to deal with that every year.

View attachment 38048

So, you are saying (that the taxing or appraising entity is saying) that your property VALUE increased substantially and it is now taxed accordingly?

View attachment 38048
In Texas they can't go up more than 10% in a calendar year. I believe I would challenge that

It's amazing to me what things cost these days. I'd say a job paying 100k 4 yrs ago is worth 60k today. Not sure how people are still getting buy. I never go to a store that isn't packed or a drive through that doesn't have a line though.

Our taxes in Texas have been going up also. In our area over 50% of the property taxes go to the school system and nobody throws money away faster than the public school system.
Yep we voted in property tax reduction they just raised the evaluation to get it back.
We need to go to straight sales tax.
Get every illegal along with all that public housing bunch driving Cadillac Escalades.

Latest posts