Tax Reform

Help Support CattleToday:

The bottom line is we need to stay optimistic and hope for the best. At least we still have a chance to make America great again. If things would of went the other way a year ago we were through as a free nation, with no hope for things to get better.
We need to stay optimistic and do whatever we can to vote the incumbents out, they have failed US.

True Grit Farms":r9j9ddni said:
The bottom line is we need to stay optimistic and hope for the best. At least we still have a chance to make America great again. If things would of went the other way a year ago we were through as a free nation, with no hope for things to get better.
We need to stay optimistic and do whatever we can to vote the incumbents out, they have failed US.

There in lies the problem Grit is getting the incumbent out. Everyone hates their government but loves their congressman that brings home the bacon.

Caustic Burno":13d1m2vs said:
True Grit Farms":13d1m2vs said:

There in lies the problem Grit is getting the incumbent out. Everyone hates their government but loves their congressman that brings home the bacon.
I fight that free money urge daily with my wife as a minority farm owner and my son as a young farmer with assets. There's so much money available to them between subsidies, cost share, and low interest loans it's ridiculous. I try to explain to them it's not the government's money, it's the taxpayers money that the government is trying to give away. We're still hanging in there and have hope that more folks will see, that by taking money that's not yours is only hurting the country and making it's people dependent upon the government.

Grit it's like in the movie O Brother Where Art Thou.
You can sell you soul to the devil or the sirens will try and lure you in as well.
It comes at a high cost.

Brute 23":prxonqzt said:
HDRider":prxonqzt said:
Brute 23":prxonqzt said:
It doesn't matter if its 5 people... its not right.

Its not that hard around here. A couple years ago land values went thru the roof. Lets say grandma died and had a house built in 1960, a 2000 ac ranch property, and lets say $500,000 is misc cash and assets. The land got valued at $8K and acre, the house was $500K, and $500K in cash. She has 1 daughter who is a school teacher and she just inherited $17M in assets. In 2001 is would have been worth $4-4.5M. She was unlucky and died in a boom.
Then she could sell it and only get hit with a 50% tax for capital gains.

Damned if you do... damned if you don't. Either way the govt will get their part while they destroy what some family worked their whole life for. :mad:
Brute what do you figure 2000 acres and a house was worth down there in 1960?? Couple hundred thousand dollars?? Sounds like inflation looked after the surviving daughter well.

TexasBred":hcaz9vpc said:
Brute 23":hcaz9vpc said:
HDRider":hcaz9vpc said:
Then she could sell it and only get hit with a 50% tax for capital gains.

Damned if you do... damned if you don't. Either way the govt will get their part while they destroy what some family worked their whole life for. :mad:
Brute what do you figure 2000 acres and a house was worth down there in 1960?? Couple hundred thousand dollars?? Sounds like inflation looked after the surviving daughter well.

I would have to ask some one about 1960 :kid: but I know in like 92' my family bought a piece of property for $1200 an acre. It would sell for every bit of $8-10K per acre. Houses built in 1960 that might have cost $40K are bringing several hundred thousand dollars with a decent yard and a couple pretty oak trees.

In the 90s you could buy larger 1000+ acre properties for $800-1000/ ac. In 2015 you could have 4-8X your money depending on the size and location.

True Grit Farms":3vw82qgb said:

That is the most frustrating thing about the climate right now in America. People need to realize we need to unite and not divide down political lines. Its the citizens vs the government right now. No matter your beliefs on these issues, at the end of the day, if we continue down this path no one is going to get what they want. The government can not support this amount of spending long term.

One proposed national sales tax was the Fair Tax. Neal Boortz was one of the supporters and he may have been one of the writers on a couple of books several years ago. I am in favor, but congress will never surrender the power the current tax plan has over the people.

CSM":3sd7vmsb said:
One proposed national sales tax was the Fair Tax. Neal Boortz was one of the supporters and he may have been one of the writers on a couple of books several years ago. I am in favor, but congress will never surrender the power the current tax plan has over the people.
Why not? We just need to get the right people behind a fair tax bill. If the majority of the people vote for it, it will happen. Somehow someone got same sex marriage and smoking dope legal. It can be done we just need someone to take the bull by the horns and get it done.

It was already mentioned that we all love our congressman and keep sending them back to DC. Then they can get changes made to the codes if you have enough money. That power and money does not exist in the Fair Tax. That's why it will never happen. I hope I am wrong.

It is funny how these things get named. Affordable Care, Patriot Act, Net Neutrality, Fair Tax

HDRider":3myqj1el said:
It is funny how these things get named. Affordable Care, Patriot Act, Net Neutrality, Fair Tax
In 2007 Texas lawmakers imposed a $5 tax on establishments that host live nude shows and also allow alcohol consumption on their premises. Since strip clubs are the businesses that are affected by it, the tax was nicknamed the "pole tax". The revenue from the tax goes to help help sexual assault victims and provide health insurance for the poor. The tax was challenged in the Texas Supreme Court on First Amendment grounds, but was upheld in 2011. :lol2: :lol:

Latest posts