Tetanus

Help Support CattleToday:

Steve Banks

Reaction score
Would it be OK to band bulls ( 500 to 600 lbs ) without giving them a tetanus shot? I know it is recommended for any open wounds. However I thought I would try to get by seening as how I have to order the tetanus thru the mail. The vets in this area don,t like banding so they don,t like to furnish the meds. They prefer the knife! I have never known of a case in this area. I only have 6 head to band. I realize there is some risk!

Steve Banks":1uvl3l93 said:
Would it be OK to band bulls ( 500 to 600 lbs ) without giving them a tetanus shot? I know it is recommended for any open wounds. However I thought I would try to get by seening as how I have to order the tetanus thru the mail. The vets in this area don,t like banding so they don,t like to furnish the meds. They prefer the knife! I have never known of a case in this area. I only have 6 head to band. I realize there is some risk!

How long would it take to get it thru the mail? Myself, I'd wait until I had the tetanus vaccine before I did anything. Waiting a few more days isn't that crucial, is it?

Can you get tetanus vaccine w/o a script? I dunno...my brother always had it around when he banded calves, so I never asked. My brother was one to cut corners, a lot, but I never, ever knew him to skip the tetanus when he banded calves.

Alice

Alice

Tetanus antitoxin and tetanus toxoid are not listed under the Rx drugs anywhere that I can find. You should be able to get them just fine online -- valley vet or pbs animal health or american livestock or we do cows (stearns veterinary outlet store) should all carry them.

FWIW -- if you're giving the tetanus at the same time as when you band, you need to give the antitoxin. It's for prevention and treatment and works immediately. The toxoid (vaccination) takes longer to stimulate the immune system (I'd guess 21 days) so that one would be nearly worthless unless you give it several weeks prior to banding.

Hope that helps.

if you're giving the tetanus at the same time as when you band, you need to give the antitoxin. It's for prevention and treatment and works immediately. The toxoid (vaccination) takes longer to stimulate the immune system (I'd guess 21 days) so that one would be nearly worthless unless you give it several weeks prior to banding.

Thanks, milkmaid...certainly helped me. I had no idea there was antitoxin and vaccine. I, personally, never had to deal with banding calves (still don't), so anything I knew about tetanus was overheard in conversation.

Learn something everyday! Thanks again,

Alice

Steve,

I just banded my 500 lb bulls and gave them BarVac CDT at the same time as banding. It takes 3-4 weeks for the balls to shrivel up and drop off so you do (usually) get the 21 days for the toxoid to take effect. In my case, I also gave the CDT a month back so they sould be good to go. It's been three weeks on my 7 calves and so far so good.

The goal should be to band earlier, but I'm still learning. My neighbor banded about 10 calves and he never gives anything and they're all fine.

The Toxoid (Barvac, Covexin) is a vaccine that provides long-term immunity, but takes longer to be active. THe Antitoxin is short-term and doesn't provide long-term immunity, but provides immediate protection. This is probably better for banding as it takes two doses of Toxoid for full immunity, etc. At least that's my understanding.

Milkmaid is right, though, if you want to give something at the time of banding the Antitoxin is probably best. In my case, I gave the Toxoid twice, a few weeks prior to banding and then another at banding.

Also, you should be able to get both the Toxoid (BarVac) and the Anti-toxin at Tractor Supply. That's where I got mine as I didn't have time to wait for shipping either. My local CoOp can also order vaccines and get them for me in a day or two. BarVac CDT is very common and easy to get.

I got the 10-dose BarVac CDT for about $6.00. The Antitoxin was more expensive at maybe $2.50 a dose or something like that.

I do and I would recomend it highly. If you ever get the chance to watch one die of tetnus, pass. Just give the shot. The peace of mind is worth it alone. And the shot are cheaper than the loss of a calf.

Latest posts