Temporary fencing ideas please

Help Support CattleToday:

regolith

Reaction score
I looked at a farm the other day that has a larg-ish area of hill with no dividing fences, and have been considering how to quickly subdivide with temporary single-wire to better utilise the grazing. There is a single trough at the bottom, so if I made 3 or 4 sections all would need access to the water trough - probably done by putting in about three tape gates near the trough and running the single wire up on an angle from the gate posts. Then I'd run a tape gate across the vehicle track at the top of the hill where-ever it encountered a fence.

What I need then, since the tape gates will carry the electricity, is a method of connecting the fences while the gate is open for stock to wander back to water without major inputs of work/expense. I'm not going to dig in insulated undergate wires and I'm not going to lay them along the ground for cows to trip over. Not unless I decide the temporary fences are in the right place and I'm going to make them permanent.

What I think will work - wire fed through alkathene water pipe in three sections, so it makes a U shape, right angle bend joining the corners of the U, another right-angle bend at the top to keep rain water out and the wire ending in a loop. To that loop I'd tie a piece of polywire and a crocodile clip to connect up to the wire.
Anyone tried anything similar? Does the wire feed OK through right-angle water pipe connections?
I think I'll try making one for this farm here when I can get to the farm store for the bends and crocodile clips, see how it goes. I also wondered if an old pair of jump leads would be just as good, if you could lash it to the bottom of the post or something so the cows couldn't catch their feet on it.

My idea would be to run some poly rope around the outside perimeters of the area you want to partition. This outside wire would be the main electric line from it you can tie more poly to make your partitions. Since the electricity will be running toward the water source all you'd have to do is to gap it for them to get through where you want them to. No burying, no hard angles, no running wire through pipe or anything. If you plan on doing this in future years I'd use high tensile on the perimeter and tie into it with poly for the partitions.

Thanks. I probably should have made it clearer that at this stage I'd only need one 'bypass' - presuming only one gate will be open at a time.

I've fenced across hills with poly wire before, and may still decide it's best for this situation. For some reason my cows are fine with it on flat ground but don't respect it on hills?? Naturally, it's the pigtail standards that they knock out first.

I use any insulated wire through a plastic pipe ,lay it on the ground and hammer over about 3 bent wire staples into the ground . Take both endt up posts to the voltage line .Don't bother with bends

That would work. And it holds its shape if moved from gate to gate?
I've still to make one - there's lots of gates carrying electricity on this farm meaning if you put up a polywire fence and open the gate to let the cows in... the poly isn't hot.
Don't think I want to get into why I didn't have time to go to the farm store today - maybe tomorrow I'll get there, and fix that water pipe too.
(A certain landowner might be most upset if I wrote on the internet what I was doing this afternoon - I have to presume the rest of the wire he pinched is sitting on his truck, on its way to being returned to me??)

I've had so many headaches with underground electric fence wires that I've decided to go overhead with every new installation.. if you don't need to drive through it, 6 feet high is plenty, but on a permanant installation I go high enough for the bale wagon to get under... I'm also contemplating putting my "Hot" main wire 10 feet high everywhere, since when it's just on the top of the barbed wire post the deer keep hitting it and tangling it with the barbed, which means I get a nice 7Joule surprise when I go to grab that irrigation pipe I laid there.

I too have gone over a gate for a temporary fence. Only weaners in there so they can go under it. It did get me in the neck when I forgot to duck though. Luckily in between zaps!!!!!

Latest posts