• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Temporary electric advise

Help Support CattleToday:

david1852

Reaction score
I've picked up a wealth of info from this forum and I could use some advise again.

i want to replace about 1700' of fence that runs along the highway. I will have to put up a temporary electric fence to keep the cows out while I'm tearing down the old fence, clearing the overgrown bushes/trees and building back the new fence.

My question is, will those inexpensive, short fiberglass posts work ok or should I use metal t posts or a combination of both? What spacing between those fiberglass posts or t posts?

Thanks for any advise.

pricefarm

Reaction score
I guess it depends on if your cows are used to electric fence. I rotational graze so my cows respect electric fence. I use the plastic step in post and one strand of polybraid. I put post about every 20 ft. But if yours are not use to electric then you might want to put your post closer and maybe do two wires. And put the electric fence up a few days before tearing out your old fence so they can get use to it

KAstocker

Reaction score
If it's just for a few weeks, I'd use fiberglass or step-in plastic posts about 20-50 ft apart depending on terrain. Probably put up 2 wires since it's perimeter. If there's little calves, maybe 3 wires. Make sure they're used to electric wire.

OP
D

david1852

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies.
My cows are somewhat familiar with electric because I did a short run of perimeter electric fence earlier this year. They checked it out for a couple days but paid no attention after that.

sstterry

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies.
My cows are somewhat familiar with electric because I did a short run of perimeter electric fence earlier this year. They checked it out for a couple days but paid no attention after that.
Since it is perimeter, I would still get it up early so that they can remember what it is. Better safe than sorry since it is along a highway (ps, make sure your insurance is paid up).

Rafter S

Reaction score
I use 1/2" - 5/8" rebar for my electric fence posts. You'll need to use something stronger at 90° corners, but they work great for straight stretches.

sstterry

Reaction score
I use 1/2" - 5/8" rebar for my electric fence posts. You'll need to use something stronger at 90° corners, but they work great for straight stretches.
My problem with rebar is that if you get a bad insulator or get a crack in one, it can kill a fence fast.

sstterry

Reaction score
I use some similar to this. I haven't had any problems with one yet.

View attachment 910
I have some of those too, but as they age the plastic will start to break down. I took over several miles of electric fence when my dad died. I have seen everything under the sun. When one thing goes down, I try to put it back better. My Dad's philosophy was always, "My cows know where they should go and where they shouldn't" :);)