Overhead electric gate connection

Help Support CattleToday:

Willstanton

Reaction score
We've been using a single wire with two insulated handles either end in front of steel gates to join electric fence sections. It's a bit of a pain to open and fails at times from kinking. Thinking about going overhead instead of underground. Anyone got any tips? Similar to pic

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221007-200208_YouTube.jpg
    Screenshot_20221007-200208_YouTube.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 29
The set-up you posted will work fine (provided you leave plenty of height clearance). But, if it were me, I would just bury an insulated wire and be done with it. If you wanted to get fancy, you could even bury it in conduit in case it ever needed to be pulled out and replaced.

Edit: It occured to me that that area might get muddy in the weather and that might be why you want to go overhead. If that is the case, disregard what I said. :giggle:

Your picture is pretty much what we do. Some places we tied 2x4's with insulators nailed to them. To the steel posts. Other spots we got fancy and ran pvc pipe next to the steel post. Ran the electric wire up through the pvc pipe. The elect wire is protected from grounding because it's in the pvc.

Thanks guys. I hadn't really thought about muddy gates but that'd be a good reason to go over as well. I just don't like the idea of putting hotwire under ground we have termites that chew and forever chasing leaks under ground. Plus it's a big job trenching everything. We've refenced a whole farm so a fair few to do. Cheers

The set-up you posted will work fine (provided you leave plenty of height clearance). But, if it were me, I would just bury an insulated wire and be done with it. If you wanted to get fancy, you could even bury it in conduit in case it ever needed to be pulled out and replaced.

Edit: It occured to me that that area might get muddy in the weather and that might be why you want to go overhead. If that is the case, disregard what I said. :giggle:
This!
I used the insulated wire made for high voltage current AND ran it underground in PVC conduit. Out of sight, out of mind and trouble free even after being under water several times. I tied the insulated wire on at insulator each side of the gate and ran down the pvc and put a silicone plug at the top of the conduit.

condiuthot.jpg

This!
I used the insulated wire made for high voltage current AND ran it underground in PVC conduit. Out of sight, out of mind and trouble free even after being under water several times. I tied the insulated wire on at insulator each side of the gate and ran down the pvc and put a silicone plug at the top of
I'll have to price conduit. It would be quite good. I was thinking about just using poly but worried about the termite issue. Cheers

I've never had any problems regarding termites in PVC. PVC water pipe will work..doesn't have to be the grey pvc electrical conduit. It's just to give some physical protection in the area where the tires and tracks of equipment constantly pass over. DO however, use the double insulated high voltage wire to run inside the pvc. I think it's rated against voltage loss up to 20,000V.
Regular insulated wire at most is rated for 600V and all electric fences put out way more than that.

We have a 3pt trencher but found the skid steer and pallet forks to be far more efficient. Slide the forks close together and just push it into the ground like a spear, then scoop the dirt out. Takes no time at all.

We have tried a few things over the years, PVC ,corrugated plastic conduit, or just direct burial. I prefer to use double insulated wire and just bury it. Conduit is a pain and I don't know that it helps all that much.

Our biggest problem is erosion. The last few winters have been very wet, and with how cows like to skirt around a post or stand and rub on it, really makes a mess out of things.

We have never really messed with overheads, more work to put in and we like to keep things accessible with big tractors so they'd have to be 12ft high.

Make sure when you're terminating the underground wires to leave enough extra length for repairs in the future.

I prefer to use double insulated wire and just bury it. Conduit is a pain and I don't know that it helps all that much.
it was necessary where I did it. A very wet area that stayed either soggy several months at a time or under water several times/year.

Thanks guys. I have tried direct burying it and it gets eaten through pretty quick. I was thinking the skid steer and just dig a trench with the bucket would be quite quick just don't want to mess around with the pvc. But maybe best option. I was going to go 20ft high with overhead abd they're 32' gates so everything we've got will go through no worries. Maybe I'll try both and report back. Many thanks

Will

Latest posts