Telemarketers

Help Support CattleToday:

I was one of those annoying telemarketers for a little while. :oops: I was making money while in college. I got a lot of hang ups. Some people wanted to chat about this that and everything else. One guy asked me in a deep voice what I was wearing and proceeded to tell me what he was doing. :shock: I told him he could only continue talking if he were to buy what I was selling. That made him laugh. He was doing it to try to get me off the phone. Instead he came in to have a free dinner and listen to the speech my boss gave about timeshares in Hawaii. I got a bonus, he got a free dinner, we were both happy. :lol:
I didn't do the job long because of the location but it was interesting to see what some of the people said and sad that some people were lonely and just were happy to have someone phone them. Those people I stayed on and chatted with.
I enjoy doing surveys, I took marketing in school and marketing research always interested me. The subtle (and not so suble) nuances of survey questions to get desired responses.

Had a buddy who had the Jehovia (sp) witness come by and he told them he would listen to them for 1 hour if they agreed to listen to him for 1 hour they agreed he set the timer and when their hour was up he proceeded to take them to the kitchen and show them his new fridge and talked to them for 1 hour about all the features of a whirlpool fridge. They never came back to his house again. Course the 110 lb bulldog greeting them at the door here normally deters them off the porch as fast as they got on.

Beefy":bda6memm said:
Ryder":bda6memm said:
Just Curious":bda6memm said:
The ones that I hate in particular are the ones that try to talk to you like they have known you their whole lives... "Hey, can I speak to Chuck..." "Hey Chuck, this is..
I'm the same way. If they think they are on a first name basis with me, then they must have me confused with somebody else.

What I find particularly phony is somebody that knows me but not real well and they want something from you . They start by asking, "and how's the wife?" How the he11 do I know? She ran off with a whisky drummer three weeks ago.

I'm sorry to hear that Ryder. theres plenty of other fish in the sea.
Thanks for the thought Beefy. She didn't really run off.
I don't think she would do that. But I'm not going to say that she would never run me off. :?

I do enjoy messin with them too. I like to talk to em is a funny voice while my wife and kids listen and start yelling for them to "get those d#mn goats out the house" and stuff like that. Oh and then they say "can I speak with Mr. G...." My last name is pronounced Go-chay, spelled Gauthier, and i tell them they can't speak to me until they can pronounce it right. It goes on for like 10 minutes and i tell them to call and try later when they can! Sounds funny in an Indian accent. They never get it right.

Horticattleman":175egj4i said:
I do enjoy messin with them too. I like to talk to em is a funny voice while my wife and kids listen and start yelling for them to "get those d#mn goats out the house" and stuff like that. Oh and then they say "can I speak with Mr. G...." My last name is pronounced Go-chay, spelled Gauthier, and i tell them they can't speak to me until they can pronounce it right. It goes on for like 10 minutes and i tell them to call and try later when they can! Sounds funny in an Indian accent. They never get it right.
Gauthier with an Indian accent, :lol2: :lol2: :clap: :clap:

Victoria":1o64mwn0 said:
Some people wanted to chat about this that and everything else. One guy asked me in a deep voice what I was wearing and proceeded to tell me what he was doing. :shock: I told him he could only continue talking if he were to buy what I was selling.

Victoria, you should have been getting $3.99/minute for that.
:lol: :lol:
I chat with the folks who call with ag surveys. Generally, my operations don't fit their categories. They are just doing a job, and I don't generally mind. If I don't have time, I say that and hang up.
I made a contribution to the state police alliance a few years ago, and now I get a call every year from their professionals. I know that it costs them about .95 to raise .05 in contributions so I always pass.
Purdue is the toughest. They have sophomore girls call for contributions. How can an old fart be mean to a sophomore girl? I send them just enough money to remind the girls of their tightwad daddies. :lol:

Angus/Brangus":37b18afw said:
Crowderfarms":37b18afw said:
novatech":37b18afw said:
On the phone I tell them to hang on a minute and lay the phone down. A few minutes later I pick it up, if they are still there I say just hang on they will be here in a minute, and lay the phone down again. Sometimes they get realy angry and I can hear them scream in the phone. I love it.

That story had me laughing. I think I'll try it next time I get a call.

Crowder, that wasn't a telemarketer calling Novotech, it was one of his flop ears calling from the feed bin wandering if there was going to be anything to eat that night beside huisatch meal.

Wish I had Novatechs # I'd be crank calling him right now, just to get his reaction. You can ask Warpaint bout my calling techniques.Actually I'm quite famous for tele-crankin' people.

Victoria":11vaygo8 said:
One guy asked me in a deep voice what I was wearing and proceeded to tell me what he was doing. :shock:

Victoria, I see we have spoken before! :lol: :oops: :lol:

cfpinz

Victoria":2juwg6sn said:
One guy asked me in a deep voice what I was wearing and proceeded to tell me what he was doing. :shock: I told him he could only continue talking if he were to buy what I was selling. That made him laugh. He was doing it to try to get me off the phone. Instead he came in to have a free dinner and listen to the speech my boss gave about timeshares in Hawaii. I got a bonus, he got a free dinner, we were both happy. :lol: .
So what was he doing? :shock:
What did the two of you do after dinner? :roll:
Come on Victoria. Give us the REST OF THE STORY. ;-)

Latest posts