Telemarketers

Help Support CattleToday:

IluvABbeef

Reaction score
Everybody always will and always have had trouble with these folks.

And it's kinda hard to not anser the phone because chances are they're gonna call back...or will they?

And even when you get somebody coming to your door asking questions for a survey...well, if you answer... like today, just had somebody come to the door in the afternoon asking a "quick" question about how much barley do we harvest, or something like that...my answer: "I dunno..." with a shrug. Then regret about answering the door in the first place.

What do you say? Or do, if you were in my shoes?

When asked a question like that I always ask how much money they have in their checking account and how much in their savings> I feel it's the same difference. ;-)

At the door I just tell them I'm not interested and close the door. On the phone I ask them if they know what the fine is for calling someone on the MO no-call list.

Tell them you are busy and ask them for their home number to call them back later when you are free. When they say they don't accept calls at home, say well neither do we!

IluvABbeef":k745p737 said:
What do you say? Or do, if you were in my shoes?

I'm on the no-call list, so I don't have a problem with telemarketers anymore. Before the no-call list I simply hung up on them unless it was something I was interested in. As far as the other, I simply tell them 'not interested', or it's none of their business.

Why is it they claim to have a name like Kyle Smith or something, but you know by the heavy accent they are calling from India?

they come to the door ?????

you have to get what I have - a lab that acts like she is going to eat you if you get out of the car - cuts down on unwanted visitors!
Please don't tell them that she is all talk and wouldn't hurt a fly. Because more than one person has left without getting out of the car
the UPS driver finally has her number and he just lets her bark - she takes his treats and keeps right on barking ;-)

We're on the no-call list, too. But sometimes I miss the telemarketers. Always enjoyed talking dirty to them or pretending to have turette's (sp) while listening to them. Most of them hung up when I asked what they were wearing, but there were a few that would play along. :lol:

cfpinz

We have a lab just like mdmdogs3. I wish I could bluff like her, I'd play poker for a living. The only way she could hurt anyone is to drown them with slobber. Iluvabeef, " I donno" is a good answer. "None of your business" like msscamp is a better answer.

"Are you a non-paid volunteer or do you get paid? If you get paid for your time, how much are you offering me for my time?"

"I do not respond to telephone solicitations."

"I do not respond to telephone surveys."

"I'm busy reading the cattle boards and don't have any time to give you. It is a full time job keeping up with all the posts." :lol2:

Any of these should do the job.
For telephones, just sign up for that "don't call" list.

You all say more than I do....
When they ask to speak with Charles ... I'll say, "Sure, let me get him!" I'll set the phone down and go back to what I doing...
Then put the phone back on the hook when they hang up...
Although, sometimes when I am truely bored, I will play along and come back periodically and say, "He's coming, hang on."
The ones that I hate in particular are the ones that try to talk to you like they have known you their whole lives... "Hey, can I speak to Chuck..." "Hey Chuck, this is...."
And then there's all the SPAM mail we get via snail mail... That stuff, when possible, I'll stuff back into their self-addressed stamped envelope and mail back to them on their dime!
Sorry to change topics... I just got excited for a minute! I'm ok now...

Just Curious":eospnlod said:
And then there's all the SPAM mail we get via snail mail... That stuff, when possible, I'll stuff back into their self-addressed stamped envelope and mail back to them on their dime!
Sorry to change topics... I just got excited for a minute! I'm ok now...

I put delivery refused on the envelop and stick it back in the mail box. I haven;t heard anything from AARP in years.

dun

Just Curious":2ejs4cny said:
The ones that I hate in particular are the ones that try to talk to you like they have known you their whole lives... "Hey, can I speak to Chuck..." "Hey Chuck, this is..
I'm the same way. If they think they are on a first name basis with me, then they must have me confused with somebody else.

What I find particularly phony is somebody that knows me but not real well and they want something from you . They start by asking, "and how's the wife?" How the he11 do I know? She ran off with a whisky drummer three weeks ago.

The callers I get always ask for Mr. R.T. I always ask them to hold a second while I get him and shout R.T. then I just lay
the phone down and continue with watching tv or what ever I
was doing. I will hear the beep beep please hang up message
after 3 or 4 min. I just choose to waste their time.
R.T.

We are also on the "Do-not-call-list", the only calls we get are few and far between from companies that we have previously done business with. Since our last name is very complicated, it always gets butchered by people that don't know us, that always saved us in the past. The caller would ask for mr. or mrs. so-an-so and we'd say, "sorry, they're not here" etc.

As for door-to-door, we don't get those, only the occasional Jehovah's Witness, but I think the dogs have put a stop to that.

Katherine

cowboyup216":2uyb7udk said:
Last person I had come to the door I answered the door naked, my hair disheveled, and a bottle of whiskey in my hand and a hand gun in the other. No sooner than I opened the door they ran for the car as they went for their car I was like come back I only want to drink and shoot my gun in the nude. That poor poor jehovas witness girl. ;-(

I just tell the Witnesses thanks, but no thanks. I do like your solution for creativity. How does it work on feed salesmen?

The Jehovas would find the road in here a little trying on them bikes...So we dont worry bout salesmen and visitors of the like.

Back to the original thread. I was called at work the other day with a feller thanking me for my generous support last year of some Law Enforcement group... I let him keep thinking I was gonna fall for his pan handling, so I told him to put me down for 5 thousand this year. Bout 2 days latter, UPS showed up with a call tag to pick up my check.Hope it cost this outfit a few bucks, and maybe they'll leave me alone. :roll:

On the phone I tell them to hang on a minute and lay the phone down. A few minutes later I pick it up, if they are still there I say just hang on they will be here in a minute, and lay the phone down again. Sometimes they get realy angry and I can hear them scream in the phone. I love it.

novatech":1lczcn4r said:
On the phone I tell them to hang on a minute and lay the phone down. A few minutes later I pick it up, if they are still there I say just hang on they will be here in a minute, and lay the phone down again. Sometimes they get realy angry and I can hear them scream in the phone. I love it.

That story had me laughing. I think I'll try it next time I get a call.

Ryder":2focxb04 said:
Just Curious":2focxb04 said:
The ones that I hate in particular are the ones that try to talk to you like they have known you their whole lives... "Hey, can I speak to Chuck..." "Hey Chuck, this is..
I'm the same way. If they think they are on a first name basis with me, then they must have me confused with somebody else.

What I find particularly phony is somebody that knows me but not real well and they want something from you . They start by asking, "and how's the wife?" How the he11 do I know? She ran off with a whisky drummer three weeks ago.

I'm sorry to hear that Ryder. theres plenty of other fish in the sea.