Team Building Activities?

Help Support CattleToday:

Judging by my time on CT and my inbox the fastest way to build up teams is to give them a common enemy. :nod: Send in a ringer whose job is to pi$$ everybody off so bad they're ready to punch him and you'll have the whole team networking behind closed doors for the common good and it will last quite a while after the antagonist is gone.

fenceman":2y49fcjh said:
Kingfisher":2y49fcjh said:
A buddy of mine works for a big company. A few years ago they were up for another team building function. He suggested a crawfish boil ( he's from Beaumont) and years later its still a success! I don't know how you can pull that off in a hotel....:)
I might go to this one. Its in Texas. And has the crawfish. No probably not. I'm already in Texas. And I can buy my own crawfish.

Sounds like we agree on team building it is crap. I hate companies who think I need to get to know my coworkers better or whatever. I don't want to interview them and I don't want them interviewing me. Ask me to get through two trees with a spider web rope I will walk around the tree and stand on the other side. Tell me to fall and let someone catch me I will laugh at you and walk away. When I worked for companies I came to work gave 100% did my job did others job stayed after and did more work, but when I left I didn't really want much to do with anybody associated with work. Sure as heck don't want to go on some retreat probably on the weekend to hang out with work. So glad I work for myself. Not knocking any of y'all who do this stuff just not for me.

M-5":2e8rbsdm said:
somebody say strip poker, DEAL ME IN
Be careful what you wish for!! You might end up with a group of dirty old men playing.
On another hand my employer has done what they call "soft skills training" with some of it team type stuff, not a favorite session for most of us. Never understood why they gave us team activities when all of us work in the field by ourselves. :roll:

After reading some of these I would suggest a watermelon roast. Build a big fire, throw in some watermelons and when they explode everyone runs into the woods and gets a piece.

wacocowboy":1hftw0mt said:
Sounds like we agree on team building it is crap. I hate companies who think I need to get to know my coworkers better or whatever. I don't want to interview them and I don't want them interviewing me. Ask me to get through two trees with a spider web rope I will walk around the tree and stand on the other side. Tell me to fall and let someone catch me I will laugh at you and walk away. When I worked for companies I came to work gave 100% did my job did others job stayed after and did more work, but when I left I didn't really want much to do with anybody associated with work. Sure as heck don't want to go on some retreat probably on the weekend to hang out with work. So glad I work for myself. Not knocking any of y'all who do this stuff just not for me.
A total waste of time.

TexasBred":1p01wpfw said:
wacocowboy":1p01wpfw said:

A total waste of time.

Its a sales pitch.

Wow! :eek: Thank you for all your replies. I'm going to take notes. ^^
What do you think about using games like this? Do you think it'll bore them? I'm also planning on a cookout. We'll be cooking one of our meals. I can contact the resort ahead of time and ask them to buy the ingredients for me.

ranchersswiss":3hvdx8vc said:
What do you think about using games like this? Do you think it'll bore them? .

Imagine spending 3 days with your in-laws. You might like a couple. But the other ones are there too. If you don't want to associate with them, you don't wanna play games with them.

Ropes was fun but that was early 90's. Some would probably like to hunt or fish but others are probably tree hugging vegetarians that have PETA memberships. Guess I am trying to say there is no way to please them all.

You always have one or ten who like touchy feely. Some may not admit to it. Then you have those who will be miserable no matter what you do.

What's your purpose? What's your goals? What kind of people with what type of personalities?

There's junk on the net. This team building scenario has been going on for 30 plus years now. I been to many. I've never seen any benefit. A few times it's been the opposite People didn't know each other and afterwards decided they didn't want to know some.

On the other hand you could simply plant some seed in their heads. See if it grows.

Don't overwhelm them.

Good luck.

ranchersswiss":2ez4shxy said:
Wow! :eek: Thank you for all your replies. I'm going to take notes. ^^
What do you think about using games like this? Do you think it'll bore them? I'm also planning on a cookout. We'll be cooking one of our meals. I can contact the resort ahead of time and ask them to buy the ingredients for me.

Look like everything is under control :) Any tool that will help you organize your team building is good, right? Good luck and enjoy your activities :)

Team building was one of the easiest parts of my job.
Our team meetings occurred regularly
with each member getting a turn picking our next dinning experience.

This was my team building
Passed this out anytime new came on the crew which was very seldom.
The leader is only as good as his team you could be Albert Einstein
with a bunch of idiots and look a monkey or be a monkey and look like
Albert Einstein.

The funny thing is many were fighting to get on my crew as they knew the rules.
Makes the game a lot easier and more enjoyable if everyone has the same rule book to play by.

I had very simple rules listed.
1 This is a job not for you happiness but that of your family
2 The squeaking wheel doesn't get greased it gets replaced.
3 Do not lie or give me false information,
4 I will back you up until you lie or give me false information.
5 Looking for proper lip placement will not advance your economic standing only safe performance will.
If you are looking to be the favorite you are in the wrong place as I have none.
6 Mistakes are part of life as long as you learn from the mistake, repeating the same mistake.
I need a better employee.
7 You are an adult act like one and do what you are being paid for and go home happy to your family.
8 If I have to do your job or settle squabbles I don't need you as you will
find out at your next performance evaluation and raise. There will be no raise.
If this behavior continues there will not be a second evaluation.
9 I am not here to go fishing or play golf with you but to maximize profit for the company in
a safe manner maximizing mine. This maximizes yours.
10 We are all tools here including myself do your job and you wont have to worry about another Cresent Wrench
out of the tool box.

Brute 23":26jfi5x2 said:
I like that. :clap:

Brute in 33 years I never lost a man on my watch, that wasn't luck.
I have made plenty of death notifications and went in with bunker gear and got a bunch never enjoyed that at all.
Being a Certified Root Cause Failure Analyst never did I not trace the cause to someone short
cutting procedure. What is almost as bad as the notification is when the investigation was done was telling
a man how he killed his coworker.
I know what you do for a living its not playing twiddle winks .
I told my crew every day our job is to follow procedure as every one of them
was written in blood. We are not writing any today we are going home to our family.
If you don't have your head screwed on straight I need to know so you can go home until you do.

Latest posts