Team Building Activities?

Help Support CattleToday:

ranchersswiss

Reaction score
We're going to have a team building this May with communication as the main focus. There'll be 25 people and we'll be staying in a resort for three days. I need help coming up with fun indoor and outdoor activities that will not bore my employees. Any ideas?

You have to put in mind the goals of your team building activity, what do you want to achieve and develop among your co-workers. Since you've mentioned it already when coming up with an activity be sure to relate it with the communication struggles your employees are experiencing in their daily routines and make sure that the exercises are not too physically demanding. Ensure that everyone can participate, learn and have fun.

A buddy of mine works for a big company. A few years ago they were up for another team building function. He suggested a crawfish boil ( he's from Beaumont) and years later its still a success! I don't know how you can pull that off in a hotel....:)

Line everyone up and whisper something complicated in the first person's ear. Have them pass it down the line and when the last person gets the message have them say it out loud. You'd be surprised what comes out.

Brain storming always works really great. Pick a rather onerous subject and have everyone suggest something to fix the problem. Write ALL the suggestions down on a large sheet of paper. Nothing is off the table no matter how stupid it might seem to someone else. When you have collected more than a hundred suggestions start culling based on three criteria, cost effective to implement, management buy in, does it really solve the problem. This one will really open your eyes.

The problem with working in "teams" is that one or two people always end up doing all the work while the rest of the "team" gets equal credit. I prefer individual effort and reward. Good Luck

TennesseeTuxedo":2451epl8 said:
Please be forewarned, lots of folks hate that kind of crap.

Just sayin'...

Yes, we call it a "Swiss navy project".

Tell them to line up in two lines. Make them count off to 50. No one can talk upon one another. If two talk at once they got to start over. It'll go on until someone takes control.

When I have to teach for a couple of days I use this type of thing.

I have a few dozen funny video clips. I play a few after each break. Some get really good laughs. Have a few off of the Red Green show.

I hate team building myself. Nothing worse than a couple dozen high strung people put into a room for a few days. Ice breakers will make it tolerable.

Interview a peer. Introduce the peer to the group based on the interview. You'd be surprised at what you learn about people you thought you knew. Fits well into your communication theme.

Sorry you gotta do this. I've had to many times. Hard to express activities in texts.

Spider web. Find two trees near each other and take a long piece of rope and going back and forth, make a spider web with small and big holes, before the activity. Take the group out, and tell them they must get from one side of the web to the other, without touching the rope. They have to really communicate, after a few tries, because the little people need to use the little holes, and you need people on both sides to help lift and catch. The first and last person usually uses a lower hole to go through because they have no help on one side...

Clothes line clip. This one goes on all three days. Everyone starts off with a clothes line clip, and it is hooked on their shirt somewhere where everyone can see it. The moment someone says "I can't" or anything negative, the person who hears gets the clip. The person with the most clips at the end is declared a winner. People are amazed at how much negative talk that comes out of the mouth, so easily!
I have a ton more, but none that instantly come to mind. When I taught high school ag, we took our officers to a retreat for a week to do team building exercises...

Kingfisher":9yyemwgh said:
A buddy of mine works for a big company. A few years ago they were up for another team building function. He suggested a crawfish boil ( he's from Beaumont) and years later its still a success! I don't know how you can pull that off in a hotel....:)
I might go to this one. Its in Texas. And has the crawfish. No probably not. I'm already in Texas. And I can buy my own crawfish.

Take em out and find a way to torture the shyt out of them and then find a way for them to come together to find a way out of it. You will have people who have suffered adversity together . It builds teams.

You will also end up with a good idea of who your leaders, naysayers, candyasses, and quiters are.

Latest posts