Finishing the interior of a post frame building

Help Support CattleToday:

Farm Fence Solutions

Reaction score
We are in desperate need of office space that isn't in our dining room, bedroom, or living room. We planned for this when we built the warehouse, and it's time to start making some sawdust.
60' wide building, and we are planning on finishing 16' on the end. (16x60 is what we have to work with) We are 16' under the trusses. We need a little retail showroom, couple of bathrooms, boss' office, etc downstairs. Upstairs will be a couple of offices and a bathroom down the road.
That's the basic concept, so I'd like to hear your ideas. This will be a project that has to be done with a few hundred bucks a week.....pay as we go kind of thing.
First question: Would you split the difference for ceiling height? 8' downstairs and 7'2" upstairs? I'll lose 10" with floor joists and sub floor, so 8 and 8 isn't an option.

Since you're going to do it as funds allow, I'd suggest when you're in a conversation with just about anyone let them know your idea of the project. Being in the fence business you meet a lot of people and know a lot of people.

As folks around you know your ideas materials will show up you can use.

I use to do trenching. Many times I would go look at a job and there would be something in the way of where the line needed to go. Old barn boards, pipe, sucker rod.... Many times I would ask the owner what are we going to do about that pile of "stuff", and often they would want to to haul if off and pay me for doing so, or sell it real cheap.

I came home one time with a 16' trailer packed about 3' high with old barn boards, 12-14' long up to 12" wide. My wife accused me of being Sanford and Son's. But I got about 3 loads just for hauling off. Got about 75 each of 3/4" sucker rod for .50 EACH and never been in a well. Got enough flexible conduit to wire two barns and gave the remaining pile to my farrier. It had the wire and boxes still attached. I just laid it out so the switches and boxes were where I could use them.

Tune in to what's around and you can save a fortune.

Could you leave the bottom beam of the trusses exposed and stained just to give a bit more ceiling height upstairs? I would not compromise on the 8' downstairs especially having a showroom there.

Ken

wbvs58":1rwjljsv said:
Could you leave the bottom beam of the trusses exposed and stained just to give a bit more ceiling height upstairs? I would not compromise on the 8' downstairs especially having a showroom there.

Ken

I'll have to do a little studying on that, but I'd say it would be very possible. I could put the ceiling on top of the bottom cord of the trusses. Thanks Ken!

Stocker Steve":2ybhzhtg said:
How much ceiling ht do you need for a show room?

I don't know, but it's going to be 8'. ;-) This project got started this evening. 16' of wall was all me and my wormy 9 year old could stand up.

Looks like you were planning it for a while Farmfence with the upper and lower windows. It is a nice shed, a good project for your winter months. Are you putting the stairs to the top level from inside the showroom or from the warehouse space?

I like building projects, trouble is I take on too many and have a big list to complete but with age I have got better at sticking at it and getting it completed. The worst thing for me is to get something to the stage where I can use it and then I don't get around to putting the finishing touches on as I am onto the next project so I have to make sure I finish it before I start using it.

Ken

Kingfisher":1vzwutme said:
Why do you need two bathrooms?

There will actually be three, if I get it all done. Right now there are four of us...Two that work 90 hours/week, and two that work about 40 hours/week, so more help is in the works. Eventually, there could be a dozen or more full timers as well as customers and delivery drivers. We will also have a small bedroom upstairs, and a shower in that bathroom for our out of town business partners. The nearest hotel (that I would sleep in) is about an hour from home.

wbvs58":12ysjx4r said:
Looks like you were planning it for a while Farmfence with the upper and lower windows. It is a nice shed, a good project for your winter months. Are you putting the stairs to the top level from inside the showroom or from the warehouse space?

I like building projects, trouble is I take on too many and have a big list to complete but with age I have got better at sticking at it and getting it completed. The worst thing for me is to get something to the stage where I can use it and then I don't get around to putting the finishing touches on as I am onto the next project so I have to make sure I finish it before I start using it.

Ken

Inside stairs for sure, and possibly from the warehouse as well. (I wouldn't mind having an escape route for when the "hangarounds" stop by and I'm in a rush :lol: ) Yes, a project needs to be finished before you start using it! I do it all the time.....get it where it works and go to using it. It makes for too much work to go back and complete the project later. :bang:

you'll be ready if everybody has to take a poop at once