TDCJ Agribusiness Land & Mineral

Help Support CattleToday:

CopeMan

Reaction score
Anybody know anything about the Texas Department of Corrections cattle operation in Huntsville, Texas cattle operation. They have a lot of steers for sale on Superior Livestock right now. Mostly all brahman cross cows, looks they use a lot of Angus, and Hereford bulls. They also have some awesome Brahman sired steers on there. All the information Ive found about them on there website is they are a huge agribusiness with poultry, hogs, a lot of horses and about 10,000 cow/calf herd.

Thats about it. They run around 10,000 head of mama cows and sale steers and heifers not suitable for replacements. They have a slaughter plant at a prison in tennesse colony where they kill about 1200 head of hogs a week to feed prisoners. I guess the prisoners don't get too much beef.

Yeah Id say they're not eating any beef haha! Yeah thats about all the info I have found.

What TDJ does with its farming operations has ticked off many people over the years. At one time they fed, clothed and built all of their prisons. Sadly those days are over, now they use our state tax dollars to fund enterprises that drive down our markets. To prove my point bout 15 years ago some state officials, both on the TDJ system as well as not got some prison time for feeding the prisioners a meat substitute product even though their were truck loads of beef raised for consumption... They sold those on the open market.

Personally I think they should raise all of their food with a hoe and pick....and any surplus should go to the needy and nursing home....Skip the needy... just give it to the nursing homes.

houstoncutter":158m7bnq said:
What TDJ does with its farming operations has ticked off many people over the years. At one time they fed, clothed and built all of their prisons. Sadly those days are over, now they use our state tax dollars to fund enterprises that drive down our markets. To prove my point bout 15 years ago some state officials, both on the TDJ system as well as not got some prison time for feeding the prisioners a meat substitute product even though their were truck loads of beef raised for consumption... They sold those on the open market.

Personally I think they should raise all of their food with a hoe and pick....and any surplus should go to the needy and nursing home....Skip the needy... just give it to the nursing homes.

I agree with you, thats crazy!! Always bad deals going on no matter where it is.

B&M Farms":ruq8ttp3 said:
Thats about it. They run around 10,000 head of mama cows and sale steers and heifers not suitable for replacements. They have a slaughter plant at a prison in tennesse colony where they kill about 1200 head of hogs a week to feed prisoners. I guess the prisoners don't get too much beef.
Don'tknow about the cattle but the hogs look like those out of the 1950's....gobby fat "lard hogs".

greybeard":13qq5jny said:
Probably feeding them nothing but shorts and slop from the prison mess halls.
Possibly, but in the past they let bids for the feed. No matter who had the best feed or cheapest bid seems Purina always got the bid at double the price.....and as you said, probably nothing more than "shorts" plus the left overs from the mess haul.

I was told they have their own feed mill. I don't no that for sure. I seen a few loads of those hogs. They are putting the feed to them thats for sure.

B&M Farms":j68ieobm said:
I was told they have their own feed mill. I don't no that for sure. I seen a few loads of those hogs. They are putting the feed to them thats for sure.

They contract feed for the hogs anyway. You should see the pork chops in the mess haul...big as a platter with about a three inch wide piece of meat in the middle. Before they sold off their dairy operation the did have some out of this world dairy cattle so the beef herd is probably "as good as taxpayer money can buy". Might be an opportunity to buy some very good cattle at pretty good prices.

TexasBred":1rqwu6xr said:
B&M Farms":1rqwu6xr said:

They contract feed for the hogs anyway. You should see the pork chops in the mess haul...big as a platter with about a three inch wide piece of meat in the middle. Before they sold off their dairy operation the did have some out of this world dairy cattle so the beef herd is probably "as good as taxpayer money can buy". Might be an opportunity to buy some very good cattle at pretty good prices.

Yeah you should see there 3/4 Brahman calves. They are really nice. curious to where they purchase all there bulls. I'm sure they spare no expense on the bulls either.

Latest posts