Tattoo

Help Support CattleToday:

txag":3cpiz58a said:
i forgot to mention that we apply the ink, tattoo, then re-apply ink. that way there's already ink there that the tattoo needles push in the holes as they go through & then more ink goes in after the holes are made.

We use the paste also. Use a toothbrush and brush it on the ear, brush it on the digits, then tattoo the ear, then brush more ink on it. We have good clear and long lasting tattoos with this method.

txag":tjcsr3xr said:
i forgot to mention that we apply the ink, tattoo, then re-apply ink. that way there's already ink there that the tattoo needles push in the holes as they go through & then more ink goes in after the holes are made.

That's how we did it many years ago, figured that was how everyone did it

dun

How do you all determine what #'s, letters, etc... that you tattoo?

The reason I ask is that I've bought the six red poll heifers and have possession of them... have not sent in reg papers yet and plan on waiting until they get about the 1 year mark... the owners who raised them were saying they were gonna put part of the dams number down on the reg. papers as their tatoo.

I'm thinking oh my, I may have as many letters/numbers as they want and then it will be up to me to get all that in their ear.... I was thinking perhaps a letter of the alphabet (isn't calves born in 2005 an "R" and is that across the board or does each breed have their own letter they use which signifies the year of birth?) followed by a couple of numbers but is there a method you all use?
Thanks.

WSome breeds use their own specific year designation letter, but most use the standard (I think it's international) for each year.
We used the simple approach in the past and will if/when we decide to start tattoing again. The farm/owner id as approved by the particular breed registry in one ear and the letter designation followed by the sequentila number of the individual calves birth in the other. That would look like DUN in one ear R01-R99 in the other for 2005. Next year would be the same but S would be used in place of the R

dun

we give our registered angus tattoes that go by the year and then by which number calf they were. So the first calf of 2005 would be 501 then 502 etc.. This goes on the ear tags also , and makes it easy to tell which calf is oldest. WE also but the birthdates on the back of the tags, and dam above the number on the front.

We tag at birth & tattoo at spring work-up (about 2-4 months old). We use the roll-on - put on ear - tattoo - than re-apply ink & push into holes with thumb. Been asked to give tattoo demos by fair managements many times. I think rubbing & pushing the ink INTO the holes is the key to good tattoos. And be sure the ear is CLEAN before you apply ink. If they are waxy or dirty - that will be the first thing pushed into the holes, and that does not show up later on in life.
Be sure to use GREEN ink - not black - for any color animal. Green shows up much better. And, be sure to get it deep into the non-hairy part of the ear BETWEEN ribs. Remember, it may not be hairy now as a baby, but cows tend to have more hair on the outer 1/3 of the ear inside. So, get it inside the ear - at least mid 1/3.

Howdy,
At birth they get their shots, iodine, and ear tag. At approx 3 weeks before weaning, for the first round of vaccinations will get tattooed. Weaning day they get thier booster shots.

Tattoo process here, tattoo pliers, green tattoo paste, plenty of digits, bucket with warm water and pine-sol and plenty of rags. scrub ears with pine-sol to get waxy build up out, rub with dry rag, rub some green paste, tattoo, rub the green paste in good with thumb.

TheBullLady":26vo6xo0 said:
We tattoo at weaning also. By then I'm sure which ones I want to register, and which ones will go on the truck. I'm not so sure at first vaccinations.

I agree. I tattoo as follows: SFMG asssigned letters
3 R etc, for the year (R) and birth sequence (3).This is done in the right ear.

Makes for a good way to ID your cattle if they come up missing.Do it as early as possible,best results around weaning time. ;-) :cboy:

Latest posts