Tattoo

Help Support CattleToday:

C HOLLAND":20ulhb27 said:
good ???? Dun and is the tatoo required for commercial cattle.

It shouldn;t be required for commercial stuff unless you want it for your own id purposes or you bangs vaccinate.

dun

I tattoo at the same time I do vaccinations, worming, etc...for me that is usually after weaning-around 6 months old. That way I only have to run them through the chute once.

We tag them on day one and tattoo them when we give the first round of vacs 3 weeks before weaning. We try to wean at average 205 days.

Lee

Good question. This is my first year for tatooing. The reason for tatooing this year? When I sold a cow recently I was asked to sign papers whether I could certify that the cow was born in the US and if it was born after 1998. Read an article, later, that stated the word certify in these papers means you have proof of the cow's id (meaning something permanent) and proper documentation as well. Never thought about "permanent" IDing before this year. In the past I just tagged our cattle.

So this year I tatooed my calves at weaning time.

What is involved in the tatooing process? Is it hard to do? Or, do you need to hire someone to do it?

mitchwi":619aa458 said:
What is involved in the tatooing process? Is it hard to do? Or, do you need to hire someone to do it?

Never tattoed a calf/cow but did plenty of smaller animals. It can be messy, but the key is restraingin the head so they can;t move it around and screwup the tattoo. All it takes is the tatto pliers with the appropriate letters/numbers and a tube of tatto ink.

dun

dun":1z34i9kx said:
At what age do most people tattoo their registered cattle?

dun

Some breeders tattoo at birth when weighing. I don't. I tag them at birth and tattoo at weaning. It seems to make a more legible tattoo when they are older.

It can get ugly if several calves lose the tag before weaning and tattooing. But I usually know the calves well enough to know who they belong to.

nrs farm":328xoadi said:
Good question. This is my first year for tatooing. The reason for tatooing this year? When I sold a cow recently I was asked to sign papers whether I could certify that the cow was born in the US and if it was born after 1998. Read an article, later, that stated the word certify in these papers means you have proof of the cow's id (meaning something permanent) and proper documentation as well. Never thought about "permanent" IDing before this year. In the past I just tagged our cattle.

So this year I tatooed my calves at weaning time.

That's a valid point. Hadn;t thought of that when I posted about no need to tattoo for commercail cows. Until the national ID system get's going that may be required by more and more places.
Here, if you selle at a certified type of sale, they stick a RF tag in their ear (the calf not the owner).

dun

I tattoo at weaning so I have a bit more "ear" to put the letters and numbers in.

The calves fit in the cattle chute better at that age/size too.

I started doing my commercial cattle several years ago, just because all black cattle look alike......

and it really paid off when one of my heifers "went missing" and was found at someones elses farm.

When you order your tattoo kit ( Valley Vet ), get an extra set of numbers and letters.
I keep the numbers and letters ( seperately ) in those colorful handsoap plastic holders that you use when you travel.

We tattoo at weaning also. By then I'm sure which ones I want to register, and which ones will go on the truck. I'm not so sure at first vaccinations.

we tattoo & tag at birth. we've noticed the opposite of MikeC......a more legible tattoo if done at birth. it's particularly noticeable at sales when checking-in cattle & reading tattoos. that difference could easily be attributed to operator-error instead of time of tattoo, though :)

if you can handle a little more mess, we've had better results with the tattoo paste ink vs the roll-on ink.

txag":254q601t said:
if you can handle a little more mess, we've had better results with the tattoo paste ink vs the roll-on ink.

Could you please explain how the results were better? Was the ink darker longer? Last longer? Apply more evenly?
Thank you.
Perhaps I may try that in the future.

Katherine

Workinonit Farm":23zp0jsu said:
Could you please explain how the results were better? Was the ink darker longer? Last longer? Apply more evenly?
Thank you.
Perhaps I may try that in the future.

Katherine

we switched to the rollers & the tattoos were harder to read as the cattle got older. the paste is a little thicker than the ink in the rollers & seems to work its way down into the tattoo holes better.

i forgot to mention that we apply the ink, tattoo, then re-apply ink. that way there's already ink there that the tattoo needles push in the holes as they go through & then more ink goes in after the holes are made.

Latest posts