Tarentaise Bulls

Help Support CattleToday:

I have seen alot of purebred and fullblood bulls, but never owned one. I do have quite a few Angus X Tarentaise F1 females though, and they're some of the best commercial cows I've ever owned. Great milkers, great feet, moderate size, and good foragers. What kind of cows are you crossing on?

Neighbors have used them soild producing females, sound, functional,long lived, nice udders, problems they ecountered very fine boned, less performance than they wanted, color caused price dock at fall calf sales because the look like a jersey cross buyers not knowledgeable. Maybe will fit your situation, but be aware that buyers will try to dock calves if sold at auction not a perf. breed so don't expect big WW.

Fine boned cattle with long bodies... Decent growth but not like other Cont. breeds (Not really a bad thing IMO).. If you get red calves you might take a bit of a hit on them at the barn because the color odd (Black points, or very heavy brindling) on some of the calves makes people wonder what the heck they are... From the studies I have seen and the people I know who raise them they actually feed out pretty good.. The two I have threw some pretty nice calves last year that were birthed out real easy.....

They're typically very quiet. Kit Pharo has a few left, he had quite a few purebreds at one point. He told me he thought they were a key ingredient in making a great crossbred cow.

He sold some in his fall sale this year Pure.. 5 or 6 of them is all I think, can'r remember what they went for.. Most of his composites are from 25-50% Tarentaise as well.. I have no idea what the quality of his where but you can be assured they were on the smaller side of the breed and not the highest milkers in the world because that is what his program is... I really thought his composites were some of the ncies bulls of his sale at the one I attendeda..

Bet those Taentaise cows take the hair off the Galloway calves you get eh?

Yes they do. The worst ones for knocking off the 'shag', are the Tarentaise, or some of the purebred Angus cows we still have.

WE have a couple of Tarentaise bulls and 1 composite with some Tarentaise in it.. Haven't kept any calves from them for a couple reasons but they are usually interesting.. Grow better than the straight Angus got blown out of the water by the Maine crosses. But the bulls have Zero hair come summer and look about as greasy as can be, lol.. Calm bulls.. Calves tended to be pretty calm too.

Found out recently that there is a neighbor with Galloways not to far away that I haven't managed to see. Breed has always intrigued me but I figure that wooly coat has gotta take a beating come sale time.

Stay away from any of the older "I's" and the disposition is fine, plus not as milky and light muscled.

If, Iroune, etc will get you in trouble. Though as an exception, As, and If son is good.

Ignace is OK.

Badlands

Probly going to cross with a few Angus, Charleighe, and Herefords. On another note, do they really lose all theire hair in the summer time?

Latest posts