Tall grass beef company

Help Support CattleToday:

One of the principles of the company, Dr. Allen Williams,
recently gave a presentation organized by our county
agent. They will pay a premium for stockers ready for
their finishing producers if the animal meets their criteria
by ultrasound. They retail fresh beef in whole foods and
similar grocery chains--not just in Chicago.
It sounded like a good deal for anyone willing to have the
quality of their breeding checked...the premiums are pretty
good and there is "profit-sharing" once per year as I
understood.

Yes at $1.75 pound hanging carcus weight that is around $1,400 for a 1300 pound steer at 62%. I have e-mailed other companies claming to market grass feed beef cattle but no reply yet. Tall Grass Beef have called my house two times plus sent me two e-mails in one week. Sound like a go getter of a company. I like that! Their ultrasound tests run between six and ten dallors plus travel depending on how many cattle there is. Also they will help the producer find cattle (feeders or seed stock) that has been proven in their feed program.

Three sevens are luckier than one.

I talked to them seceral times. They are very picky about what genetics you use. Of course they will help you find the cattle that meet their criteria. After several e-mails and phone conversation I lost interest. Can't totally revamp my herd just so's I can do business with them.
Welcome to the board farmer boy. Good luck on fittin in with the cattle today click.

buckaroo_bif":15xzrh5t said:
I talked to them seceral times. They are very picky about what genetics you use. Of course they will help you find the cattle that meet their criteria. After several e-mails and phone conversation I lost interest. Can't totally revamp my herd just so's I can do business with them.
Welcome to the board farmer boy. Good luck on fittin in with the cattle today click.

Bif

Did they tell you what genetics they were looking for?

I know several of the cowboys that work for them and I am curious what they are looking for.

They like linebred sires.
They prefer Tim Oldhe and some other guys like
Gene Meitler - Lucas, KS, Jauer Angus, Hinton, IA.

they also like Murray Greys. Their criteria is a minimum
of sq inch ribeye, a tenderness score, stress score,
etc---all by ultrasound. Appearance-wise, they want
moderate size, good heart/flank girth, and a decent
hindquarter. The British breeds are more likely to meet
their criteria than the continentals.

TurnThatCowLooseMaw":2dv7svqh said:
Tallgrass is raising cows that roam freely in open pastures and eat lush, hearty, natural grasses. Our animals eat no grains, and are given no unnatural supplements, growth hormones, or antibiotics.

That came directly from their website. So if they all of a sudden have pneumonia, or bvd or something they dont treat em with antibiotics? I reckon they just let em die then?

Wow I never knew mister american justice was a farmer.

I will try and find out what they do. I used to work with some of the cowboys that work there.

I know it sounds odd. No antibiotics :roll:

TurnThatCowLooseMaw":1bc7xfqc said:
Tallgrass is raising cows that roam freely in open pastures and eat lush, hearty, natural grasses. Our animals eat no grains, and are given no unnatural supplements, growth hormones, or antibiotics.

That came directly from their website. So if they all of a sudden have pneumonia, or bvd or something they dont treat em with antibiotics? I reckon they just let em die then?

Wow I never knew mister american justice was a farmer.

You can use antibiotics if an animal gets sick. But it can't be sold as "natural" or "organic" or, apparently as "TallGrass" beef. They simply sell it into the regular, commercial beef market after the antibiotic withdrawal period.

Latest posts