Beef Cattle Inventory

Help Support CattleToday:

I have posted this before but think this is a good time to repeat it.
A heifer kept during the high price part of the cattle cycle. Usually 10-11 years, will never be as profitable as one kept in the low price part of the cycle.

Example, a 600lb calf kept this fall will be bred next year and calve the next year. So her first calf, which is usually not the best one she will have, would sell the fall of 2025. The best part of her production will be at least 5 years from now during the low part of the price cycle.

A calf kept during the low price part of the cycle will be the most profitable during the high price part.

Sell heifers now and next year and get the profit you have been working for.
Keep heifers when they are cheap.
That is sound logic.

I knew a man (since passed away) who ran a lot of cows. When prices were low he kept the heck out of his heifers. When the market was high he would sell back the cows and let his pastures rest some. A lot of people buy cows when the market goes up thinking it will stay up for years which it never does. I couldn't do the old cow deal in 2013-14 because people were paying too much for broken mouth cows.

It is not conspiracy theory. Who would advise their children or grandchildren to go into cow business to support their family. That is your answer as to why cattle numbers are getting smaller and smaller along with the temporary drought and hay shortage conditions that shall pass. But the being able to make a profit much less a living is the long term issue. With the age of cattle men and women getting older and older and less young people rising up to take their place I don't see a long term solution.

One of the major issues in raising cattle is and will be the price of real estate. If you can't pay for the ground with what you can make on the product you raise... there is no reason to be in business.

It's nuts. A couple days ago I called on a small piece of ground (4 1/2 acres) to see what the asking price was. Garbage ground with nothing growing, well outside of any town, a hundred miles from a city, and even a weird shape. $235K

It is not conspiracy theory. Who would advise their children or grandchildren to go into cow business to support their family. That is your answer as to why cattle numbers are getting smaller and smaller along with the temporary drought and hay shortage conditions that shall pass. But the being able to make a profit much less a living is the long term issue. With the age of cattle men and women getting older and older and less young people rising up to take their place I don't see a long term solution.
Unfortunately I Suppose that's a good thing for lab raised meat. 🤮
Really gut wrenching to see so many farms and ranches go out.
I just recently went to my hometown in S Illinois after 23 years away. Most all the small to midsize farmers are leasing their property to big bankers and corporations and calling it quits. My buddy's 100 year old dairy business is closing down.
I hate that hardly any young kids are interested in this way of life...but as has been said many times.....who would want to work that hard for a meager or just an honest living.
Today's kids expect an easy way of life and a lot of money to spend on useless crap.

Local barn had a 230 head herd sellout today, brought in from Louisiana. 50 pair and the rest palpate 2-8 months.

I sold 6955 lbs of 13-14 year old (5) cows and bought 6540 lbs of 8+ year old cows (6) with 3 baby calves. Only had to boot $840.00
To much potential drought showing around here for back to farm.

I think it would be safe to bet 80% of the country has experienced or is experiencing an extended dry period of 2 years or more in the last 5-6 years. I know our rainfall has been erratic and undependable for the last 15 years. Reducing the herd has been the only option for me. No longer fret about grass going to "waste". It isn't necessarily wasted when it goes back into the soil.

Last edited:
Unfortunately I Suppose that's a good thing for lab raised meat. 🤮
Really gut wrenching to see so many farms and ranches go out.
I just recently went to my hometown in S Illinois after 23 years away. Most all the small to midsize farmers are leasing their property to big bankers and corporations and calling it quits. My buddy's 100 year old dairy business is closing down.
I hate that hardly any young kids are interested in this way of life...but as has been said many times.....who would want to work that hard for a meager or just an honest living.
Today's kids expect an easy way of life and a lot of money to spend on useless crap.
It's not meager or honest or expectations... it's math. We want to feed our kids, send them to college, and not rely on the govt for health care or retirement. I don't think that is too much to ask.

As much as I love raising cattle I have to be realistic about the math.