Tall Fescue Mix?

Help Support CattleToday:

Stocker Steve

Reaction score
Planning to reseed part of a meadow that has been in timothy and red clover.
Would rather not put in reed canary.
How much moisture can tall fescue take?

got some in some bottom payure lik aa say's it dose't do well under water but it holds up better than any thing else I'VE TRYED

gonzo":1zae70e7 said:
got some in some bottom payure lik aa say's it dose't do well under water but it holds up better than any thing else I'VE TRYED

meaning the stand lasts a long time or it produces well or both?

Fescue is VERY tolerant of wet conditions. All waterways created to reduce erosion where I live are planted to Fescue. It will not withstand standing water for extended periods however, 3 to 5 days should not kill the fescue once it is established.

agmantoo":cu9yg2od said:
Fescue is VERY tolerant of wet conditions. All waterways created to reduce erosion where I live are planted to Fescue. It will not withstand standing water for extended periods however, 3 to 5 days should not kill the fescue once it is established.

Thanks - - I had assumed you needed meadow fescue where it is damp.

Stocker Steve":2tyomybq said:
agmantoo":2tyomybq said:

Thanks - - I had assumed you needed meadow fescue where it is damp.
Around here all they use is KY31. We have one field that is at a bottom of a slope. That field stays wet for a month or more after any rain. Wet to the point that the cows pug it something awfull. It's a good fescue hay field and after the hay is cut it grows up into 2-3 foot tall clover. But it comes back year after year, 15 so far!

Same as Dun I plant k35 don't want to advertise for it but it grows where I plant it if it dies out there aint much that will grow there. I can't tell you how long it lasts cuz I just started using it 2 years ago . It groes in the woods and chokes out most any weeds. stock eats it pretty much yearound . They seem to like it more when it get's colder. I have some spots down in the swamp by some treestands it has creeped int o the brush and started takin over. I couldn't get any of that high dollar feedplot seed to grow for years in the same spots.

Latest posts