Stockpiled Fescue Test Analysis

Help Support CattleToday:

Banjo

Reaction score
One of my neighbors let me turn my cows into his field the other day to graze it off....just about an acre. it had growed up untouched all year.....it had a really good stand of fescue for the first week of February so I took a sample of it and had it tested. i grazed 69 head total for 2 days, 66 late bred cows and 3 grown bulls. You guys can tell me if it tested good or not. I'm thinking it was decent for this time of year, some of the blades were still green and some were faded to brown.

Attachments

• CVAS-Standard-31735114-ROGERS FARMS-1.pdf
    130.5 KB · Views: 75
Yea I look at that too. I wanted to see how this compared to a bale or two of average hay.... protein wise, I haven't tested any hay in a while, but i would say this would out do hay by quite a bit IMO.

I'd say it's adequate in a warmer climate than where we are.
TDN isn't real high so more would be better in our area (WY).
Lot of moisture in it. Adding dry matter might help, but since you aren't in it very long
I wouldn't bother. Protein is acceptable, ADF is high, showing it's a little undigestable.
But again, staying in it for a short time it should be fine. It's impressive that you got
it tested. Then you aren't guessing, you KNOW what you have.

Also, I know nothing about fescue. 🤣

I would say it would compare to our mid quality hay, but things are different in KY
compared to WY.

Seems to compare pretty well to the fescue hay I tested this year. I would say you have the advantage though since the cows are baling, and fertilizing for you. Did notice the lower Phosphorus, and magnesium though, wonder if that's a leaching effect, or your soil? A little supplement energy during the real cold weather would make them happy.

(first sample had short stand of volunteer oats in it that didn't dry properly)
fescue.pngfirst cut fescue.png

This hasn't had any thing done to it in forever.....plus you probably have deeper and better soil there in Illinois...corn country.

One of my neighbors let me turn my cows into his field the other day to graze it off....just about an acre. it had growed up untouched all year.....it had a really good stand of fescue for the first week of February so I took a sample of it and had it tested. i grazed 69 head total for 2 days, 66 late bred cows and 3 grown bulls. You guys can tell me if it tested good or not. I'm thinking it was decent for this time of year, some of the blades were still green and some were faded to brown.
I can't get it to download on my phone. Tell me a little about it or someone post-it please

Last edited:
I can't get it to download on my phone. Tell neca little about it or someone post-it please
Crude protein 11.8%
RFV 82
TDN 54
Its on a PDF file....you might have to wait till you are on a computer to open it and see all of it.

I can't get it to download on my phone. Tell neca little about it or someone post-it please
Its not nearly as good as some of the test you have posted....I was wandering if the protein drops some over the winter or if it would have been the same 6 weeks ago?

This hasn't had any thing done to it in forever.....plus you probably have deeper and better soil there in Illinois...corn country.
The deep soil I grow hay on is 8 foot deep clay. :ROFLMAO:
I just wonder how much leeching happens, if any, the longer stockpile goes into winter, haven't ever tested any to see.

That should be pretty decent feed up until calving for the temperatures in that area.

The deep soil I grow hay on is 8 foot deep clay. :ROFLMAO:
I just wonder how much leeching happens, if any, the longer stockpile goes into winter, haven't ever tested any to see.
I remember you posted a picture years ago, someone asked about that white/grey mud in a high traffic area. Between that post oak ground, yellow and red clay, and the occasional light brown topsoil, we have really colorful soil here.

Almost all the good dirt here is bottom (flood) ground. Get out of there, she's pretty thin.

Seems to compare pretty well to the fescue hay I tested this year. I would say you have the advantage though since the cows are baling, and fertilizing for you. Did notice the lower Phosphorus, and magnesium though, wonder if that's a leaching effect, or your soil? A little supplement energy during the real cold weather would make them happy.

(first sample had short stand of volunteer oats in it that didn't dry properly)
View attachment 13137View attachment 13138
With levels of minerals in your hay do you feed any minerals?

Probably not the highest level of science but I look at manure consistency while they graze fescue. From my analysis the feed quality is exceeding what they need. But the cattle are adapted to it.
What percent of protein do you think you start getting that perfect cow pie? I've heard it takes 8% for the microbes in the rumen to work. What percent does it just stack up? anyone else feel free to comment. also.

I also graze stockpile so I appreciate this discussion.

I test some but honestly guess most based on manure. Our last test was in the 11.?/protein 58/TDN. Seems good for spring calving cows, but not for lactating so I bought some 24% lick tubs. But we moved them into another pasture of mainly fescue that has dried out. I need to get that tested but the pats are all perfect ponded beauties, with the lick tubs.

Banjo I would guess somewhere in the 11s, but some cows seem to take more. I have seen them on 14% fescue and I still seen a few mountains.

Answer a question, ask a question... with the 24% lick tubs, how much does that raise their dietary protein percentage?

Nice......and I bet they cleaned it up!!!

Latest posts