Tall Fescue in NE Texas

Help Support CattleToday:

Eugene66

Reaction score
Does anyone - other than me - have experience with Chisholm and/or Flecha Tall Fescue in area between Dallas and Tyler, TX? These varieties are Mediterranean, summer-dormant, and NO endophyte. Both of these varieties would be great for my area if they had SOME endophyte? Any varieties I'm missing?

Noble foundation released one recently. My seed dealer said it won't persist this far south, like all of them. It will hang on for a few years and decline rapidly unless you have clay soils that are in a low area with good moisture.

........I'm in South West Tennessee.....the old KY 31 fescue was tough and persisted well. Now, with the shifting climate, I've noticed that even it is having a tougher time and other grasses are taking over. That being said, I'm trying to clean up a lot of these others, along with the old "infected" KY31 and replace with these "novel" fescues. Ask me in 5 years....thw seed mix I've assembled is sitting in my shop, waiting on enough worthwhile rains before I'll break out the drill.

I planted KY 31 3 years ago at about half a bag per acre drilled. Super happy with it here in N. Tx. Blackland soil. This season I got 3 cuttings off it and never had a 3 cutting crop of anything. The first cutting was so thick that I couldn't get in it to WW after I tedded the WWs my drum mower left. So I just drove the baler through it till I reduced the volume and then went with conventional baling practices. The bales I made just driving through it were the heaviest and prettiest I ever baled. Running 15-5-10 Fert. and not a lot of it. Planted in an exhausted Coastal patch.

Interesting discussion. I am seeing KY 31 retreat on my place. I'm in western Ky.

Latest posts