Tailgate stuck shut

Help Support CattleToday:

Bigfoot

Reaction score
'07 Chevy 3/4 ton. Tailgate is up, but won't release. Seem to hear some action going on when I pull up the handle, but not enough to operates the mechanisms on the ends. Where do I start? It's like there is slack in a cable?

There's a plastic piece inside the tailgate near the handle that connects a rod going to the latch at each side. It's probably broken. Pop the cover off of the handle and you'll see it. I'm away from mine now, but I'll go look to verify. It's been a while since it happened to mine.

My Dodge does this on a regular bases. Spray in the crack with WD 40 or something like it.
Take a hoof pic or screw driver and try to trip it open from the inside upper corner. Mine has a small opening that I can see a trip for the release. (This is not in the handle assembly.) If I was home I would post a picture of it. Unfortunately I won't be home for a few days! Good luck.

Edit to say this is to get it open. The guys are probably correct in that you have something broke and will need to take the panel off, but easier to do with it open maybe.

I was right. Lift up the handle and look under it. There's a blue clip on one side, and a red one on the other (at least that's what's on my '06). One of them is almost certainly broken.

Red is visible, but blue is not. The blue is probably the culprit. How do I remove the plastic piece around the handle? Does it just pull out of the hole it's sitting in?

Used to keep those spare clips in my glove box on the old trucks. They are on all the door latches and lock latches. You can pick them up at any auto parts. Get you a set of plastic trim removal tools and you won't break anything.

I have an '05 GMC, you have to stick the rod into the hole before pulling up on the latch, kind of like having a combination lock.

Andyva":xeso5l7n said:
I have an '05 GMC, you have to stick the rod into the hole before pulling up on the latch, kind of like having a combination lock.

My 04 was the same. Problem is everybody knows the combination except Bigfoot. And now he even knows.

You can take some needle nose pliars and stick in the hole and grasp the metal rod and bend it just a bit to shorten the rod. Do this on both sides and it will fix it.

Bought the little clip. Its packaged funny, or at least it was at my parts store. It was in a package of 7, that were all random. I stuck the other 6 in a drawer. Pretty sure they don't fit anything on my truck. Thanks for the help. My truck is getting to that age were it's something is breaking every time you turn around.

Bigfoot":1ji7m1g5 said:
Bought the little clip. Its packaged funny, or at least it was at my parts store. It was in a package of 7, that were all random. I stuck the other 6 in a drawer. Pretty sure they don't fit anything on my truck. Thanks for the help. My truck is getting to that age were it's something is breaking every time you turn around.

Open the gate - weld some eyes to the box - and hooks on the gate - it will work fine and no trouble from now on.

Latest posts