Tail Docking

Help Support CattleToday:

hillsdown":3sedzdb6 said:
MF135":3sedzdb6 said:
preston39":3sedzdb6 said:
Holly,
It was not my intention to suggest it was abuse. Although,I think it is very close.

Abuse??? Give me a break. It's a practical application in the dairy industry. No, not the 20 hd operation that has "stalls", but the 500 hd milking operation that milks 24/7. If you choose not to take part in the practice, then don't. But don't support legislation against the property rights of others. Both Castration and Dehorning are far more invasive than tail docking yet I don't hear one word against these practices...

:lol2: :lol2: :roll: :?
Now hillsdown, there's no time for jokes. You know the stalls have to be cleaned twice daily. Finish your chores, then you can go play.

MF...are you familar with "free stall" barns?? Huge covered barns holding from 50 to 5,000 cattle?? The size of the operation has nothing to do with whether each cow has a stall or not...only affects the number of men required to clean each when needed and/or replace all bedding. Pottsville isn't that far from Dublin or Erath County. Go visit some of them. They're really very nice. Automatic flushing systems, manure separators, misters and fans coming on and off periodically to keep the cattle cooled, feed available 24/7/365. But all we hear about is abused cattle.

TexasBred":2yw25dxo said:
MF...are you familar with "free stall" barns?? Huge covered barns holding from 50 to 5,000 cattle?? The size of the operation has nothing to do with whether each cow has a stall or not...only affects the number of men required to clean each when needed and/or replace all bedding. Pottsville isn't that far from Dublin or Erath County. Go visit some of them. They're really very nice. Automatic flushing systems, manure separators, misters and fans coming on and off periodically to keep the cattle cooled, feed available 24/7/365. But all we hear about is abused cattle.

What percentage of diaries are ran in this type operation? Confining a grazing animal to these free stall or even no stall barns is more abusive than tail docking.

Im not sure where Pottsville is... surely an aggie wouldn't be making a podunk joke?

MF135":1r83iwqb said:
TexasBred":1r83iwqb said:

What percentage of diaries are ran in this type operation? Confining a grazing animal to these free stall or even no stall barns is more abusive than tail docking.

Im not sure where Pottsville is... surely an aggie wouldn't be making a podunk joke?
You've got to be kidding right? Now a free stall barn is abusive? I guess that's why it is the facility of choice these days. Dairymen don't care about their cows and being abusive will surely be a productive practice. Give me a break. Free stall barns are some of the most comfortable situations a cow could be in. In fact somewhere I read they did a study and the cows actually preferred being in the free stall barn when given a choice to be out in a pasture or in the barn.

Very few dairys graze much anymore. Pretty much drylot or freestall. Maybe you need to look around at a few more dairys and see what's going on

Latest posts