Mangled Tail

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
Well, I had minor heart failure today. Went out to fly spray the herd and noticed a steer with blood all over his (formerly white!) face. Seemed perfectly fine, couldn't even find a scrape. Then another calf had blood all over him, then a cow, and another, and another . . . Looked like a crime scene and I was frantically trying to find out which one was mortally wounded. Gasp - there she was with blood over her entire back, sides, hind legs and tail. Huge relief, it's only a tail wound but pretty mangled. Looks like she got it caught it barbed wire, honey locust tree, something sharp. And of course, every time she flicked her tail, blood splattered in a 3 ft. radius.

I cleaned it up, best I could in the pasture, and sprayed Veterycin, Blue Kote and sprinkled Wonder Dust on it (and was subsequently covered in blood myself). I didn't feel she needed antibiotics but should I bring her in and try to wrap it? Leave it alone except to spray/keep the flies off? Or is this something potentially serious and I should start her on antibiotics or penicillin?

Probably a minor event & part of owning cattle but surprisingly, this is my first blood bath involving the tail.

I would just clip the hair away from above the wound. I think you will find damaged part will go hard and fall off. Try not to disturb it so as not to start the bleeding again. If bleeding was an issue you could put a green band on just on the edge of the wound so damaged part falls off eventually.

Ken

TCRanch said:
TennesseeTuxedo said:

Had the same thing happen a few years ago to this one. She's now the "tail-less wonder".

Oh! Bless her heart! So what did you do? Any treatment or let nature run its course?

Vet hit her with iodine and she cleared 2 fences after the chute opened. She's a real pain but raises a nice calf.

wbvs58 said:
I would just clip the hair away from above the wound. I think you will find damaged part will go hard and fall off. Try not to disturb it so as not to start the bleeding again. If bleeding was an issue you could put a green band on just on the edge of the wound so damaged part falls off eventually.

Ken

Thanks, Ken. I was afraid to do much because it was still bleeding profusely. Hopefully the Wonder Dust will coagulate the blood but if not, she's easy enough I can walk her to the corral or down to the barn and put on a cheerio (who knew the banders were multi functional? :) ). I can easily just dump some cubes to keep her occupied and clip away in the pasture.

I'd bet she stood up while another cow stood on her tail. Most tail injuries heal up on their own. If it swells and the swelling starts going up the tail, you need to band it higher to stop the infection.

MurraysMutts said:
My gawd!
And poor that cow!
I hope I never see that again. Pretty brutal tail damage

Yeah, the whole thing freaked me out, seeing SO much blood everywhere. Plus, the smell of blood got the bulls all fired up, which added to the drama. Idiots :roll:

Yeah, the whole thing freaked me out, seeing SO much blood everywhere. Plus, the smell of blood got the bulls all fired up, which added to the drama. Idiots :roll:
Spilled blood makes for whacky behavior! ;-)
I've had a number of cows lose the tip of their tail directly above the swatch. Stepped on/caught on something unforgiving and due to big country didn't discover it until after the fact & healed. As usual sounds like you're on top of it. As others have mentioned deterring flies at this time of year is crucial. In addition to shaving might not be a bad idea to trim/tidy up what's left of her bloody switch.

not sure about wild life where you are but around here I would be worried about coyotes smelling that blood and wander through the herd hoping to find some easy meat. also would keep an eye out for increased fly problems. dry blood and high temps sounds like a good combination for attracting a lot of flies. Hope she turns out fine.

We used to have problems with bloody tails when we kept the confinement barn full of fat cattle.
I'd watch it pretty close. We used to use green bands or ever zip ties above the injury.If it gets infected it can travel up their spine and their back legs quit working.
If your going to band make sure you get it in between the vertebrae.
It you can feed her some cubes and Sustain III's I would.

Thanks for all the input!

They were at the lake this morning and she was halfway submerged. Made the rounds and she was out by the time I got back. Tail actually looks pretty good but most of the blood had been washed off in the water. Watched her for a long time and the bleeding appears to have completely stopped so I don't think banding it is necessary. Poured some iodine on it for good measure, another layer of Blue Kote and fly spray but she'll most likely be back in the lake multiple times throughout the day.

The Sustain's will be easy. I break them in half and hand-feed with a couple cubes. I've only had a couple cows refuse to eat them and had to resort to drizzling molasses or hiding them in a Twinkie or hot dog bun. Whatever works!

Dsth said:
not sure about wild life where you are but around here I would be worried about coyotes smelling that blood and wander through the herd hoping to find some easy meat. also would keep an eye out for increased fly problems. dry blood and high temps sounds like a good combination for attracting a lot of flies. Hope she turns out fine.

Good point. We do have a lot of coyotes but (knock wood!) have never lost a calf or had any problems with them. Well, except for the barn cats.

76 Bar said:
What's a twinkie? Sounds like something that would get censored with a "be nice".
ROTFL!
A national treasure especially for us old foggies... :roll:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twinkie

I'm dying!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Prior to Hostess going bankrupt (about 6 years ago; they're back in business), we had a Hostess Outlet in town & used to buy racks of the "day old" bread, Twinkies, Donuts, bagels, strudel, muffins, tortilla chips, etc. Couple racks would fill my entire Hummer, including the front passenger seat, $10 per rack. The cows loved them!!! Gave them as snacks, generally every day, but also came in handy if I needed to "hide" a Sustain, aspirin bolus & even Pro Bios or Tri Pectate gel.

It was kind of an ugly transition period after the outlet closed, weaning them off their carbs & sugar! That's a broken Twinkie I'm holding in the first pic - and a steer ready to eat my entire hand if I don't give it to him.

Score at the Hostess Outlet!