Hair Loss on Pin and Tail

Help Support CattleToday:

svorsteveld

Reaction score
I have an organic dairy farm in Vermont and I have been noticing a lot of cows have been loosing hair on their pins (upper tail/back) and just around their butt. We use bulls, so first I thought it might be from getting jumped and I might have some cows that aren't getting pregnant but now there's way to many cows that have this hair loss for that to be true. I've never seen this before and don't know what it is. If you have any idea and know how to solve this problem organically I'd love to know. Thanks!

Yes, tis the season for lice and hair loss on pins and tail head is classic sign of lice.

Diatomaceous Earth is used by those wanting an organic method of treatment.
Dust it on problem areas and kills lice within 48 hours by penetrating insect exoskeletons.
Safe for animals and humans, but kills all insects... including bed bugs.
Wear a mask when dusting animals as inhaling the silica dust particles is bad for your lungs.

'Safer Brand Diatomaceous Earth' offered on Amazon at 4 lbs for $9.47
or 'OMRI' Food Grade D.E. $13.99 for 5 lbs.

Another organic method to kill lice is to coat the area of the cow with vegetable oil to smother
adult lice and kill their eggs by depriving them of oxygen.

I would have never thought of using DE on cattle! People also use DE on chickens for lice and mites and in horse stalls to dry up manure and urine. It's called Stall Dry. My local feed stores sell it as well as Tractor Supply. Not to be confused with Dry Stall which is Pumice. Be sure to check the label to make sure it's DE. I suggest gloves and a mask or at least staying upwind as it's very drying. I hope it helps

Latest posts