tai - trying again

Help Support CattleToday:

BryanM

Reaction score
So I set a few cows up using a 7 day protocol. insert cidr + a shot of gnrh, 7 days latter pull cidrs and a shot of PG. I am sitting at 48hrs post pg shot with no signs of heat!!! (again). If I see not heat I will ai and give a shot of gnrh tomorrow at 10 a.m. that will give me 60hrs post pg shot.

Does that sound right? Will they show heat after I give a gnrh shot??

Need some advice!

Have done it in years past and got mixed results. On some it did not seem worth it. New Vet this time recommended that we stretch it out to a 10 day TAI program with a few more days of the CIRD for cows to develop up better per her experience. We did it that way, a few cycled on the evening prior and yet all were ready to breed and gave the shot to ovulate. Don't know results. Better for me than watching for heat so I go that way. Hope it works for both of us.

How many is a few? Sometimes a couple just don't show alot. At 48hrs Id have no worries on cows, wouldn't expect alot till 60 on just a couple. If nothing in the morning Id give GnRH and breed at 72hrs for cows, heifers Id back up to 66

After you give a shot of gnrh will a cow still stand in heat??

At 48 hours you're still pretty early to see much. I never bothered to come up with a statistic but I would guess that 80% of the cows I've bred based on heat detection following a lut shot were on day four. I've bred a lot on day three but I was only looking once a day and most of the ones I bred on day three looked better on day four.

Just because they don't show heat doesn't mean they won't stick. AI at 66 hours and hope for the best. Have seen good results and never saw any sign of heat.

Good luck,
Farmgirl

Just an update. I had 1 that showed a crazy strong heat at about 60hrs. That that cow tried to ride everything no matter what size standing or laying down!! so she was bred with no gnrh shot. Had a cow come back in a little latter so I rebred her. And one showed nothing so I bred her at hour 66 and she got a shot of gnrh.

And during all this had a late calf born, not bad for a Saturday o ya I also got a baseball game in, a grad party and a nascar all star race in. along withal the reg stuff.

Is it beneficial to give the gnrh to those that do show heat?

LRAF I give the shot either way, if that egg is tetering it will drop it, if its already fell its a shot of water. To me the $2.25 is worth it just for a little more insurance, I look at it different, if it only helps 1 in 50, still worth it to me.