Starting your herd over again

Help Support CattleToday:

Porkchopfat said:
I have the registered hereford cows. Looking for a good brahman bull to cover them in the spring. I need some easy keepers in my life.

There is a guy out of Corrigan Texas had some mighty fine genetics at one time.
I could see if I could dig up his contact info.

Caustic Burno said:
Porkchopfat said:
I have the registered hereford cows. Looking for a good brahman bull to cover them in the spring. I need some easy keepers in my life.

If he is selling straws I would like his contact info. I am still small with 2 moma cows. Thanks CB.

Porkchopfat said:
Caustic Burno said:
Porkchopfat said:

If he is selling straws I would like his contact info. I am still small with 2 moma cows. Thanks CB.

I will check tomorrow, I thought he only sold em with four hooves.

Caustic Burno said:
Porkchopfat said:
Caustic Burno said:

I will check tomorrow, I thought he only sold em with four hooves.

I can understand that. I am sure my ai tech can help with finding straws. I do appreciate the help CB.

Down here in Florida there are certainly some challenges that must be met. We are in Central Florida and kinda stuck between two different mind sets. The people south of us must have some Brahman, but the people north of us have a good disdain for brahman..... thus I would probably start my new herd with Brangus cows. When that first calf is only 3/16 brahman it certainly helps with the sellability of the calf to the north. I would likely breed back three different bull breeds, Angus, Brangus and Charolais. Charolais would be for the bulky terminal cross for steers, Angus for the Ultrablack replacements and Brangus to ensure that I could maintain a group of straight bred brangus for some time.

Any that I didn't finish could easily be sold at the sale barn.

may be facing this if we don't fill a couple ponds in the next two weeks. :(
I can't pump water for the whole herd, and grass isn't exactly doing great this year with the small amount of rain we have had, though there is enough to get by. I have never seen an August like this one. And I have 70+ years of daily rain records.

Dream situation - yeah Brahma cows with Hereford bull(s); reality - been thinking about it a lot, probably keep the one or two youngest registered (bought) bulls (Brangus) and some of the better gentle red cows (although the damn Longhorns sure do raise calves!). Can probably handle 25 to 50.

I would get a mix of Angus, horned Hereford, and some 5-star Charolais crosses. Put a horned Braman bull on the Angus and Hereford and black sim on the 5-star. Raise my own replacements and have a diverse calf crop. The F-1 off them can still be played around with to make more or less ear depending on the looks of them.

I run them both ways ,Brahman cows x Hereford bulls and vice verses; bulls are V8 and JDH ....gentle gentle ....no problems calving,love my Brahman cows till it is calving time or vaccinating time and be ready to run like you are 20 years old , but they sure look good in the front pasture, using a barber bull on the Brahman heifers, you pen Brahmans by your self and then have a friend come by and help if need be, no whooping and hollering aloud unless you want to rebuild corrals and call some real cowboys to chase them across the county line ; the Brahman cows will hit the chute wide open and the Herefords will not hit it hard enough to latch: your decision but I love them both ways ....need the Brahmans to keep the blood pumping lol

I would have just started with Angus instead of trying to be niche and cool. You live you learn. You don't learn and you're just an idiot. Going Angus has already paid off for us with more money coming in per animal, so it seems that I'm not too idiotic.

I started over 4 years ago. Considered several options and talked to many breeders, buyers, feeders and barn managers in this area. There were several breeds and crosses mentioned. The one at or near the top of everyone was the Hereford/Angus baldie. I have both black and Red Angus cows. Also a few Hereford cows. Tried a Balancer for 3 years. If I was to do it again today I would do it the same. Our baldies are our best group of calves every year.

elkwc said:
I started over 4 years ago. Considered several options and talked to many breeders, buyers, feeders and barn managers in this area. There were several breeds and crosses mentioned. The one at or near the top of everyone was the Hereford/Angus baldie. I have both black and Red Angus cows. Also a few Hereford cows. Tried a Balancer for 3 years. If I was to do it again today I would do it the same. Our baldies are our best group of calves every year.

tup

Yup

I would start with straight Fleckvieh Simmental cows, introduce some Blonde d'Aquitaine bulls for awhile, then breed back to Simmental, and once in awhile introduce some high percentage Simmie, low percentage Red Angus. A little British is okay, but I would want to keep it minimal. Too bad no one is selling percentage Blonde / Simmie bulls

Latest posts