Thinking about trying out some AI

Help Support CattleToday:

Adam Freeman

Reaction score
I am thinking about doing some AI on my registered Angus cows next spring and wanted some input. I have 6 cows and want to start keeping the heifers from them to grow my herd some on the registered side. I also have 20 Commercial angus and have been running a registered bull with them as well as the 6 other cows. My dilemma is if I keep the heifers' off these girls I will need a new bull or else do AI for any of the heifers I keep so as to not interbreed back to their dad. How hard is it to get set up to do this or would it make more sense to just haul down the5-10 heifers' I do keep down to a place that does AI instead. I am in north central KS and have not seen a lot of facilities around here that do this. Just starting to do the research and gather info now since the girls I do keep from this spring will be ready in another 18 months give or take.

Certainly to start with it would be best to get someone to do it for you but I would also look into doing a course to learn how to do it yourself and then maybe start on the ones that return back on heat in 3 weeks maybe in future years and then see how you go. It is a skill that requires practice and familiarity with the procedure.

Ken

I would first contact the bull studs (ABS, Select sires, plus others around you) to find out info on classes and availability of AI techs in your area. For 6 cows that you want to start with, I would recommend having an AI tech breed for you with sexed semen if your goal is to retain the heifers. Doing AI yourself takes practice and is an acquire technique that comes with time. If classes are available, start breeding on you own when you feel comfortable. most AI techs can also teach you how to AI if classes are not readily available. good luck

Agree with @wbvs58 and @Dsth . I am not familiar with your area, so I have no idea what the availability of AI is in your area. I think the final goal would be for you to learn how to do it yourself, but in the meantime you might need some support. Once you learn how to AI it opens up many opportunities. You can purchase genetics that would otherwise be cost prohibitive. Best of luck! Like all good things, it takes time. I believe it is something worth learning to do.

Latest posts