T-111 Siding

Help Support CattleToday:

skyhightree1

Reaction score
I was in lowes today picking up some supplies to make concrete forms and I am building a shed so I went to see the price of the T-111 siding and noticed its pretty thin. However they had something next to it that's siding and is thicker cheaper and looks like old wood grain that's on a barn. It looks like its laminated or something and but says needs to be primed and then painted has anyone used that stuff im talking about I should have taken a picture. I will go back tomorrow and take one.

That's probably textured osb. It's called smart siding . It's used under porches and for sofit on houses .

Yes, it's paintable. I have it on my little shop. This particular brand came pre-primed (from an outfit called McCoys Lumber) but my sister has used it bare and she primed then painted it herself. It's not really bare tho, it has a moisture sealer on it if it's true SmartSide .
Here's Bob Vila's explanation of it.
http://www.bobvila.com/articles/525-eve ... ti0gBBdW20

The stuff I used is only 3 years old now, but has held up fine, but I wouldn't use it anywhere that might get much pressure or abuse. Not matter what they name it, OSB is still .............OSB. It is REALLY easy to shoot a nail straight thru it and the head disappear into your stud.

GB thanks for the info that board felt sturdier than the t-111 that was next to it I would have never guessed if you shot a nail in it that it would go all the way through. I am gonna take some pics today to see if its the exact same stuff and get the name. I wonder why its cheaper than t-111 ? The stuff im talking about is in a 4x8 sheet like plywood is that the same as you have?

Yes sir. That is it. I like the look and hopefully I can paint it to match the house. Thanks for all the input and help.

Sky t111 comes in 2 thickness 5/8 & 3/8". The heavier is good stuff the thin isn't much IMO. It needs to be painted or stained as well for it to last. The board you are talking about is a Masonite product which is like MDF board. If it was me I would use the 5/8 t111 if I was going to live there for a while.

SmoknM is spot on. T-111 does come in two thicknesses. I had the thicker stuff on my garage for 30 years and never had any problem with it. Built a smoke house out of the thick stuff about the same time and it is still standing and about as strong as it was when built. The only thing I don't like about is it is hard to get paint down in the grooves on the 5/8" thick material but the 3/8' stuff is very easy to paint because the grooves almost don't exist (very shallow).

SmokinM":19vecod6 said:
Sky t111 comes in 2 thickness 5/8 & 3/8". The heavier is good stuff the thin isn't much IMO. It needs to be painted or stained as well for it to last. The board you are talking about is a Masonite product which is like MDF board. If it was me I would use the 5/8 t111 if I was going to live there for a while.

SmokinM Thanks the store I went too only has the 3/8 inch which is way too thin. I do like the Masonite product for the fact of the woodgrain you can see below and ease to paint and get it in all areas whereas he t111 can be a pain. I would like the thick t-111 though I may check to see if they can get that .

lavacarancher":2mgc7q1i said:
SmoknM is spot on. T-111 does come in two thicknesses. I had the thicker stuff on my garage for 30 years and never had any problem with it. Built a smoke house out of the thick stuff about the same time and it is still standing and about as strong as it was when built. The only thing I don't like about is it is hard to get paint down in the grooves on the 5/8" thick material but the 3/8' stuff is very easy to paint because the grooves almost don't exist (very shallow).

lava I had same concerns but I thought 3/8" would be hard to paint as well.

skyhightree1":1vxjq7rm said:
lavacarancher":1vxjq7rm said:

lava I had same concerns but I thought 3/8" would be hard to paint as well.

The 3/8 stuff the grooves are little more the "scratches and a deep nap roller will quite easily reach the bottoms of the "grooves". The 5/8 siding you really need to paint the grooves with a brush to get to the bottom. Grooves are at least 1/4" deep. An airless sprayer works quite well on either thickness. By the way, I don't think you can get either thickness of the T-111 for $18 per sheet. Last time I looked it was over $40 for the 5/8". Maybe it's come down since all of the plywoods have come down a little from 5 years ago.

Lava I can tell you this if I gotta paint it then im going with 3/8 inch t -111 or the other stuff. I really hate to paint.

Sky I needed something to skirt a double wide home I bought five years ago, went to Menards and they had a 2x8 panel that was called some kind of cement siding that looked somewhat like what you have there, the stuff I got was about 3/8" thick and primed, you needed to buy a special saw blade to cut it but it cut easy with it, also you needed special cement screws or you needed to drill the holes for it, Mine goes down into the ground about 5"-6" here and so far it has stood up very well, I would sure buy it again! Oh and it cost $14 and change if I remember right, it was heavy tho. Good luck 101

101":2151ibmj said:
Sky I needed something to skirt a double wide home I bought five years ago, went to Menards and they had a 2x8 panel that was called some kind of cement siding that looked somewhat like what you have there, the stuff I got was about 3/8" thick and primed, you needed to buy a special saw blade to cut it but it cut easy with it, also you needed special cement screws or you needed to drill the holes for it, Mine goes down into the ground about 5"-6" here and so far it has stood up very well, I would sure buy it again! Oh and it cost $14 and change if I remember right, it was heavy tho. Good luck 101

I never heard of that before but it sounds nice but I don't think they have that without special ordering it probably.

skyhightree1":1x2eugz1 said:
SmokinM":1x2eugz1 said:

SmokinM Thanks the store I went too only has the 3/8 inch which is way too thin. I do like the Masonite product for the fact of the woodgrain you can see below and ease to paint and get it in all areas whereas he t111 can be a pain. I would like the thick t-111 though I may check to see if they can get that .

I used this exact stuff in my man-cave. Left it just like it came...no paint or anything. Put it about 38" up the wall and then put mossy oak paneling the rest of the way. It looks great :D

Latest posts