Synthetic lubes

Help Support CattleToday:

DiamondSCattleCo

Reaction score
hayray":22jp2txx said:
I would think that it is real hard to improve upon what the engineers designed because any improvement any manufacture can make over its competition would increase the bottom line so I gotta think they really try to get the most out of each engine. How about synthetic oil? Or maybe that would be another thread?

One thing to bear in mind is that manufacturers in general only engineer things to last the warranty period, and nothing more. So when it comes to oils etc, they will recommend that which will meet warranty period requirements only. Extended oil change intervals come directly from EPA/CAFE credits as well.

So, IMO, synthetic oils are one of those things that you should be using. And they should be used throughout, including diffs and transmissions (except in automatics). But you have to be careful about those synthetics that you are choosing, as not all are created equal. Shell Rotella T is a straight dino oil that exceeds many synthetics for quality and lubrication. I personally like PetroCanada synthetics lubes due to their higher lubricity, smaller chain size and higher flash points.

So to make a long story short: Do your homework. Just because something is synthetic doesn't mean its any better than plain old oil.

Rod

Latest posts