synchrony report

Help Support CattleToday:

pdfangus

Reaction score
Did the spring herd work on my massive herd yesterday.
Preweaning shots for calves
booster shots for cows
worming and fly pour on
preg check etc.

some will recall that I used the fairly new 6G6 presynchrony protocol to synchronize and breed on time this past fall.
2 old cows and 2 yearling heifers
bred them all on time with only one heifer showing heat.
The other heifer showed heat a week later and jumped the fence and went partying with a group of young bulls.
All four are pregnant.
The two cows who showed no heat
the heifer who showed heat
and the party girl who won't know who the baby daddy.
Small sample.....but I was pretty happy with 75% single service conception with what to me was a new protocol.
Now I do have a young bull in with these cattle at this time but that was to make it easier to feed him hay. We skipped two heats with no sign of heat before I put him with the cows and he could not have bred anything and have the preganacies as advanced as they are at this time.
i palpated good sized cotelydons in all four females and patted one calf.

long way of saying that I like the 6G6 protocol. Will try it again.

Five trips through the chute seems like too much for me unless conception and pregnancy rates went way up. I admit we only settle 65-70% with our current AI protocol, but I have usually had my limit of running them through the chute by then, anyway. I guess if it increased the pregnancy rate to ~90%, it would be worth the extra work. Be interesting to see some more studies.

going thru the chute is no ordeal for my stock.

I have to keep the gates shut to keep them from going in there. I left a gate open the other day and got home to find my 1600 lb 18 month old bull standing in the chute and he had been there a while because he could not make the turn to back out.

He is supposed to produce again, but then again he is supposed to be producing already. So who knows, I know they sold a ton of semen at $60 a straw so that is why I think the price went up. I am pretty sure the inventory is uncomfortably low which is why they raised the price again. Hard to say wether or not I would sell it if I were in you shoes..

No.....

I plan on breeding two first calf heifers and two yearling heifers to him this coming fall.
weighed my two Jipsey Earl heifers Friday and weaned them.
654 and 594 actual weights. have not gotten adjusted back from AAA yet.

How are the Jipsey Earls for frame? I had heard (just heard never seen) that Jipsey Earls didnt grow very well, sounds like your two grew just fine..

I would say they are just slightly less than what is normal for my cows.
must be tempered with the fact that the two mothers are tall and framy.
one of the calves is a bit framier than the other but both are acceptable to me.
I will try to take some photos of them.
My objective was to reduce frame and increase muscle and improve EN a bit.
my cows have plenty of growth and perhaps too much milk.

another update.
my pregnancy diagnosis was right on
the two cows and one heifer were due on 9/20/2011
had one on 9/14
had one on 9/19
and had one on 9/20.

the harlot is due next week.

Long story short I am going to do the 6G6 protocol again this year.

pdfangus":286767kx said:
one of the calves is a bit framier than the other but both are acceptable to me.

What frame size are your cows if I may ask? What size are you trying to get?
Valerie

vclavin":3v3didpa said:
pdfangus":3v3didpa said:

What frame size are your cows if I may ask? What size are you trying to get?
Valerie

Valerie...
bear in mind that since I downsized and am now only a hobbyist....
I only have two mature cows left and a few heifers.
I have not measured my cows but they are big girls easy six frame maybe a seven. Selecting for growth and performance for twenty years got me growth and performance but the herd size was creeping up. Milk and feed consumption was creeping up as well. Now we still had a herd that was living in a commercial environment on fescue and bermuda grass. But they took a lot of hay in the wintertime.

But it is what my customers wanted. anytime a customer looked at bulls heifers or cows they invariably selected the bigger ones. My bull market was good because the bulls we sent to the test station competed very well. most of my bull market was repeat customers and word of mouth. I quit promoting because I could not produce to the demand and was sending buyers to other breeders.
calving ease and growth were the two hot buttons becasue all the herds around here are sideline herds with owners having a job in town. Heck I am at my day job as I type this.

have had the camera ready but it has been raining here all week....pouring and flood watches agin tonight.

maybe over the weekend. it is supposed to slack up Sunday.

pdfangus":1zvsjeet said:
have had the camera ready but it has been raining here all week....pouring and flood watches agin tonight.

maybe over the weekend. it is supposed to slack up Sunday.

I'd like to breed him to a couple of my framier GV cows for balancers but I have no clue how hte offspring would PAP

Latest posts