expectations of a calving ease bull/report

Help Support CattleToday:

Margonme":2tdtvwqy said:
talltimber":2tdtvwqy said:
The heifers are done. I have had to pull what I think is too many calves. What are your expectations of a calving ease/low birth weight bull bred to pelvic checked, blah blah blah, heifers. These are nice heifers in excellent condition, mineral, feed, decent fescue/wsg pasture, and timely checking. Every four hours check, and my wife would come home during lunch to check them.

She's been a trooper. I'd go back every hour on one that was getting close (but didn't know how close), and most of the time she would go with me. Last night was the first full nights sleep we've had in over a month.

It was an experience, we learned a lot, and got confused a lot, but recovered and did "endeavor to persevere" :help: It could have been much worse.

Did you record the calf weights? In addition to weight, how was their head and shoulders? My birth weights are around 90 pounds but my calves have narrow heads rather than big blocky heads. When I do assist (not often), the pulls have been easy. How hard were the pulls?

How many calves have you pulled where the width of the pelvic opening was the restriction when it came to passing the head?

KNERSIE":ufivq4u2 said:
Margonme":ufivq4u2 said:
talltimber":ufivq4u2 said:
The heifers are done. I have had to pull what I think is too many calves. What are your expectations of a calving ease/low birth weight bull bred to pelvic checked, blah blah blah, heifers. These are nice heifers in excellent condition, mineral, feed, decent fescue/wsg pasture, and timely checking. Every four hours check, and my wife would come home during lunch to check them.

She's been a trooper. I'd go back every hour on one that was getting close (but didn't know how close), and most of the time she would go with me. Last night was the first full nights sleep we've had in over a month.

It was an experience, we learned a lot, and got confused a lot, but recovered and did "endeavor to persevere" :help: It could have been much worse.

Did you record the calf weights? In addition to weight, how was their head and shoulders? My birth weights are around 90 pounds but my calves have narrow heads rather than big blocky heads. When I do assist (not often), the pulls have been easy. How hard were the pulls?

How many calves have you pulled where the width of the pelvic opening was the restriction when it came to passing the head?

The ones I have assisted seemed to need a little help getting the head started out. After the head and underlying front legs get started, the rest slides out rather easily. Had a heifer couple years ago that had a bull calve that had a big head on a relative basis.

I believe the cases where I assist are not necessary. There was one exception. I assist based on the concern the calf might not be getting oxygen. I might be wrong.

Talltimber, this might of been your bad year, it all averages out. We had one ourselves and now we're back to adverage. I refuse to use any MLV's, anything that can cause problems if used at the wrong time isn't for me.

TG, that's one reason why I haven't put any calves in some of the programs-the mlv requirement. I have too much trouble as it is. Another is, can't remember the name now, the med that will kill you if you accidently stick yourself. Aint nobody got no time for that.

I hope you are right about the luck.

TT, you know I live about 45 mins east of you. This fall I have had 2 born 2 months early and 1 born 1 month early. I thought it was just my herd, but you might be on to something with the heat and humidity. These all came from AI so I know exactly the date they were bred.

Sorry to hear of your bad luck.

I was at the feed store today. A guy there told me he had one the other day had afterbirth hanging but didn't find anything in the pasture. He also didn't know when she was due, so no telling about that one. He said he was five or six calves short this year. I'm assuming he leaves bulls in year round, but may have a start time, idk.

The thing is, what we gonna do about it. Can't afford a/c for them. Go to eared cattle I guess and take a beating on the other end? I'm not big enough to ship a load of them somewhere that they like them.

Latest posts