Synchronization time

Help Support CattleToday:

bandit80

Reaction score
Pulled the CIDRs out of 23 cows this morning before work. Have done a timed AI in the past with CIDRs, but haven't been too thrilled with the results. Am going to heat detect and AI this time around. Applied KMars since I won't be there all day to heat dectect, hopefully most show signs of heat. I know all of the 3+ year olds have cycled at least once, but not sure about the first calf heifers. All of the cows I placed CIDRs in have calved at least 45 days ago, most more than that.

Timed AI'd my 9 replacement heifers last Tuesday, and hope to catch a most of the cows in heat to AI.

Good luck with the breeding. It is trial and error until you find what is comfortable for you. Hopw all come in and takes the first time around.
Good luck
Double R

I'm going to try CIDRs this year. I need to push the herd forward on calving date so the CIDRs are all going in asap. Then I'll Kamar and heat detect as well.

angus9259":3jzil76e said:
I'm going to try CIDRs this year. I need to push the herd forward on calving date so the CIDRs are all going in asap. Then I'll Kamar and heat detect as well.

I ended up having 19 of the 23 respond with a standing heat, and the protocol I used said to AI all non-responders 84 hours after pulling the CIDRs. I could have waited and heat detected for 3 more days also, but with having to be at work I didn't feel too confident about that.

The KMARS worked when they stayed on. My cows were shedding their summer coat when I put them on, and most of them came off the first day. All but about half a dozen were laying on the ground where the cows tend to lay down. I assume the calves came up and bit them off while the cow was laying down. I thought I had a bunch of cows in heat the first day, but quickly realized what had happened. Didn't have much trouble figuring out when certain cows were in heat however.

Latest posts