Sync heat detection?

Help Support CattleToday:

We used the Estrotect patches last year and were really pleased. Either that or tail head paint to save some money.

I had better luck with Kamar or Bulling Beacon stickers than with the scratch it off lottery type tickets. Tailpaint never quite worked for me as I hoped.

I've used both K-mars and the scratch off type (lottery ticket type as Kernsie said), I've decided I like the scratch off better, too many false readings on K-mars from tree branches etc. (they break too easy). The thing about scratch off patches is the cows tail switch will take some of the cover off and show some red, but when the cow has been mounted it's easy to see the difference between a little bit of scratching and an all red patch that has covered by another cow. Also I have learned to use some spray on glue in addition to the peal off back to secure the patch.

just my 2 cents
Alan

I use Estrotect. I believe they are the best non-electronic type detection aid there is. K-mars send far too many false positives. It is quite obvious with Estrotect who is in heat. The patch will be scratched off clean in most cases. The one problem I have is when fly season comes around and they do scratch some off. Usually it isn't enough to throw a false positive though. I have found mounting them further back on the tailhead during fly season does help some. If you are applying the patches when it is cold make sure to warm them up somehow and they will stick better.

The only ones we had problem staying on good was a copule of Hereford cows that air real hair beasts. We have decided this year if we use them we will clip the hair on those hairy cows. All of the others stayed on and it was really hard to pull them off when we bred them.

dun":vjnmkrac said:
The only ones we had problem staying on good was a copule of Hereford cows that air real hair beasts. We have decided this year if we use them we will clip the hair on those hairy cows. All of the others stayed on and it was really hard to pull them off when we bred them.

My main problem with the Estrotect patches was that they didn't stick, maybe it was just a bad batch or maybe the skin and hair is just more oily because we use a lot of pour-on dips for ticks especially in redwater and gallsickness season. Someone suggested using K-Mar glue with the Estrotect patches which sounds like a good plan in theory, but I cannot find any without buying a box of K-mars.

I just started using spray paints on my heifers and have had good luck. I use LA-CO Quikshot because its quick and easy. Plus, I can mark a few hundred heifers per can, which has really been a cost savings. I am also getting less false positive because, they don't lick the paint off each other.

Rust-co glue from Lowes or other similar contstruction glue works well to keep patches on. I use it for the heatwatch patches and after drying you cant pull them off and if the snag on something usually pulls all hair off down to bleeding skin. Takes months to fall off. Just what I use thought it might help.

Oh yeah it is used with caulk gun and for estrotech or k-mars you could do lots and lots of cows with one tube. Wear gloves cause its super sticky.

Bought the Estrotect patches and getting ready to AI heifers. :cboy:

In case a couple don't cycle - - how much value in an internal exam, or is it just time for the trailer?

KNERSIE":2f0cu1sb said:
dun":2f0cu1sb said:

My main problem with the Estrotect patches was that they didn't stick, maybe it was just a bad batch or maybe the skin and hair is just more oily because we use a lot of pour-on dips for ticks especially in redwater and gallsickness season. Someone suggested using K-Mar glue with the Estrotect patches which sounds like a good plan in theory, but I cannot find any without buying a box of K-mars.

Same here as well. They told me to hold your hand on them untill you felt body heat though the patch. Also to have them in the sun or put them in your shirt pocket if its cold out etc. I held them on there longer and it helped. Im still not super impressed with them though. If I use them again it will be with glue...even though its sticky!.

Personally I like the Kmars because I can see them when sorting down an alley on the ground better.