Switch is Disappearing on Cow's Tails

Help Support CattleToday:

We've got a couple family groups that tend to stay together as well.

I had one with a HUGE lump on her right side before calving, was looking like a definite possibility of twins,... she had one huge heifer instead.

Nesi, I will put our resident expert on it and see if he thinks I need to change it. I liked the Ultimate line much better, but I would have to mix the Rumensin in the mineral myself. I am going to go back and see what the difference is in that ratio. I do keep the pastures limed, as it allows the soil to release the nutrients, and I do fertilize my pastures.

But in the meantime, here is a picture of 333 from the front, as you can see how big her belly is. None of the others are spread out as much as she is. Pud's daughter, or her granddaughter, Kizzy is checking on her.
Then the second picture, she is arching her back as she is getting the little sucker ready to come out. I see her with her back arched often right now as she is feeling pain inside. She doesn't bag up tight until the calf starts coming out. Then it drips as I wonder if this helps the calf to find the milk straws.
P1000692.jpg

P1000685.jpg

I've seen much bigger bellies... I think she's just 'positioning' the calf.. does she stay like that long or is it more like a stretch?

If it wasn't for bloat control, I'd perhaps wonder if you need the rumensin while they're dry at least..

My "Mega" streams milk from all 6 teats when she calves, pretty funny, but makes for lazy calves... they expect it to just dribble into their mouth.. Lazyboy was never hungry, and he'd just nose the teats and hold them in his mouth a while, suck twice, then bunt the udder to keep the flow going.

It actually was hanging lower and was wider, but I believe the calf has moved up in position as it is going to come out tonight. Before she looked like a water ballon.
At least it isn't raining as it has been for the last few nights. Like pouring water out of a bucket.

333 had her calf this morning. I left her alone as she was washing him and he was learning to nurse. This afternoon, I put out a bale of hay on the tractor, and then rolled a hay ring up to her and dropped the ring over him so I could measure his hoof. She was shaking her head and pawing at the ground. She is mean with a calf. This one is 86 lbs. He weighed 6 lbs than the other one did.
90 % of my calves run between 72 to 90 lbs.
For Ken, that is 33 to 41 kgs. :D

I posted his picture on "Cattle Pictures," in the Breeds Forum.

Latest posts