Sweet feed question

Help Support CattleToday:

DaveM

Reaction score
I am a hobby farmer that only has four head. I fed what I think is a good sweet feed all winter then tapered it off a bit through spring and am now only feeding a scoop a day to keep them coming to the barn when they see me. I buy the feed in 100 pound bags, a couple at a time. The last couple bags were bought back at the end of May or first part of June. I keep it in a covered 55 gallon drum. It seems to have really dried out and even seems dusty. The cows cough slightly immediately after eating. Could the feed have gone bad? The cows still love it. Any way to test other than sight? I've read about moldy sweet feed but have never seen any. Could the dust I'm seeing be mold. Keep feeding or throw it out? Thanks

It's hard to say without seeing it, but I would be inclined to think it's still ok as long as it didn't get wet in the bag or the drum hasn't got moisture in it. the molasses will dry out over time.If you're in doubt tho, I would scrap it and get one bag next time. Peace of mind is worth a lot .

Latest posts