Sweet Corn Varieties

Help Support CattleToday:

H and H

Reaction score
I've been going through seed catalogs and came across one for the commercial vegetable farmers (Rupp Seeds). It was amazing to see the sheer number of varities of sweet corn, many w transgenic traits (RR, etc). The convenience of having these traits at my disposal got me to thinking about a little larger patch this year (1-1.5 acres) w staggered plantings ~1 week apart for 3-4 weeks. The goal here is to process/freeze some for my family (I have 3 brothers and a sister who all have families of their own) and possibly open it for 'You Pick' type endeavor. If we still have too much, I can send it over to my parents restraunt.

Does anyone have a recommended variety for this application? If I go w an engineered hybrid - is there an expectation that I inform the consumers? Since these are commercial sweet corn varieties, it is clear the vegetables we are getting from the store today are probably transgenic...I am not trying to stir the GMO pot. I am a proponent of this technology, just wanting to be a bit more self sufficient.

We live in NE Nebraska.

Thanks in advance - Gabe

The last few years I've been growing G90 and Peaches and Cream. These are about the same apart from the color of the tassel. Whether they are modified or not I could care less and don't know if they are. Bottom line is they are good and people like them and never had any complaints.

Jogeephus":2rkpw2nu said:
The last few years I've been growing G90 and Peaches and Cream. These are about the same apart from the color of the tassel. Whether they are modified or not I could care less and don't know if they are. Bottom line is they are good and people like them and never had any complaints.

Good Lord what a novel concept!

G 90 and Silver King are our favorites in N Al. Silver King and Silver Queen are 2 grown commercially in our area. We like Silver King better than Queen.

Jogeephus":33ny2bpn said:

:nod:

We really like the Mirai hybrids. Best sweet corn ever. I would only go GMO for my own use if it had a raccoon repellent gene.

I did a little genetic engineering as an undergrad, I was never able to perfect the coon repellent.

Jo - Peaches and Cream has been the gold standard here for awhile now. I am looking for a RR/BT variety that tastes like that.

I'm with redcowsrule on this one.That Mirai corn is the best we've ever raised.I sell it at a little roadside stand and the people just love it.Bicolor #350 is the one I get.Just plant it about an 1 1/4 deep in 60 degree soil.push the limits on the nitrogen,quality corn.Rupps got it.

frank boucher":15xsnuln said:
I'm with redcowsrule on this one.That Mirai corn is the best we've ever raised.I sell it at a little roadside stand and the people just love it.Bicolor #350 is the one I get.Just plant it about an 1 1/4 deep in 60 degree soil.push the limits on the nitrogen,quality corn.Rupps got it.
That's a good tip suggesting Rupps. They have about any kind of seed imaginable. I looked at their seed catalog online but couldn't see a way to order online. So, they're sending me a catalog and I'll order by phone.

Latest posts