sweat and veins

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
help again!!! can anyone tell me ...my old horse is super hot today.it is about 98 in texas and he's out here sweating up a storm from his neck. all his veins seem to be sticking out and i wonder, should i be concerned??? they don't normally stick out to this level, like all over him. he's eating fine, walking fine, everything else is ok. what do yall think? thanks, again...mell

Make sure your horse has access to shade, you can also hose him down during the heat of the day. Shouldn't be too much of a problem other than sun burn on pink skin (white hair) and maybe a slow down in eating. Make sure there is plenty of clean water to drink.

Alan

Don't forget access to salt and minerals! even without shade, your horse will be ok if he has plenty of fresh water and salt. most of the time my horse won't stay in the shade.

I have run a sprinkler in the pasture when the Temp is over 100 - but we don't have a lot of humidity so i am not sure if that will work for you in Texas.

Alex

If you can run a hose out to him, offer a sprinkler...one of the ones that just goes back and forth real slow...in south FL we get the same thing...all my guys have learned to really enjoy standing in the sprinkler

Latest posts