Why every kid needs a good horse and cattle...

Help Support CattleToday:

spinandslide

Reaction score
spinandslide-albums-casey-picture107166-sam-1600.jpg

spinandslide-albums-casey-picture107169-sam-1616.jpg

spinandslide-albums-casey-picture107170-sam-1618.jpg

spinandslide-albums-casey-picture107172-sam-1661.jpg

spinandslide-albums-casey-picture107173-sam-1662.jpg

I could find a handful of things he's doing wrong..but the fact he was out, on his pony (yes, she is only about 13 hands)..helping his dad made me decide to put away my instructor cap for the day and let him enjoy himself. :)
This was the pony's first time on cattle too..shes a tough gal

Checkin' fence with dad
spinandslide-albums-casey-picture107167-sam-1606.jpg

what every boy dreams of(some grown men too :D )
none of my business but i'd take that rope away for a few years or until he is in an arena with supervision.
i'd also change them stirrups to something smaller that he couldn't get his foot through.
no offense just trying to keep that boy from getting hurt.

Appreciate the advice Cross..the rope was "for show"..he isnt allowed to rope off of horseback yet..but he still likes to have it on his saddle..this particular time, he was holding that rope for his dad..

The stirrups are actually a good fit..the ones that came with the saddle were super tight on him..my concern was, if he did come off..his foot getting hung in a stirrup that was to small..guess its a catch 22 on both counts, eh? :)

He had a ball..My husband just got back from the desert..which made it even more fun for my kiddo..spending time with his dad. :)

Cross-I thought of something else..the kid always has his feet "home" in the stirrups..drives me bonkers, but I learned long ago I cant teach him..;)..I have a new student who does the same thing..pushes her feet home versus keeping them on the ball of her feet..I have her doing lots of standing in her stirrups..muuhahaha!

i wouldn't worry too much about that.
the saddle i rode as a kid had the stirrups let out so i couldn't reach them until i was 12.
he'll learn a lot from watching dad too.
by the way i really like the looks of that little mare.

Spin and slide, you are creating a boy that will love buckskins for life! That pony looks just like the little gelding I had as a kid in the '60's!!! Always been partial to buckskins and attribute it to my first pony. He looks so serious and working hard, I agree, he is living the life and making memories. Glad you had a camera and shared them with us.
On the stirrups, my dad would whip any of us if we had more than our toes out. Made it hard when I tried to ride saddle broncs. What about covered stirrups? Looks brushy there and that was the original reason for the tapadero (sp?) stirrup covering, so it would serve two purposes.

Great photos, a kid on a very nice pony having a great time, but where's his head protection? An ASTM approved helmet would make a nice Christmas present!

When I grew up Cross, we to earned our stirrups..granted, I rode English...but we still had too..made for sore legs. ;)

That pasture is in the process of being grubbed now..but yep, he probably would have benefited from some chaps..those mesquites are awful..might look into some tapederos for him. he shows locally too..and they'd be frowned upon there..but might come in handy for working cattle with his dad. Id like to get him some chaps too..trying to find some decently priced though..as he'll outgrow them in a year or so!

that little mare has taught more then one kid how to ride in her long life. she is super safe..he can do almost anything on her. ridden english most of her life and now is a western pony here..neckreining is still a work in progrress (as evidenced by him riding her two handed)..but he doesnt seem to mind to much. His confidence is grown by leaps and bounds with her...which is what he needed.

*LIKE* It's great to see a kid have fun with his horse (pony).

our kids grew up with horses too. Our daughters tell me that some of their best memories are working the cows and going for rides down the road. They would be gone for hours. I've never forget the day that our oldest daughter rode home carrying a garter snake that she caught. Freaked her sister out.

The cool thing about kids and horses (at least with our family), our children are still involved with them as young adults, and now our grand children are learning to ride too.

Kudos for helping your son to make memories that will last a lifetime.

Good memories Chippie..from 12 years old and on, I spent my teen years on a horse..those were some good good memories for me. While Casey isnt in the boarding stable atmosphere like I grew up in..he does have friends who ride..him and two other boys about his age are usually the only boys at horse shows and events..they stick together like glue. :)

Spin, I didn't go back and look at the pictures, but on the neck reining situation, if your son is using a curb bit (or any solid bit) cross the reins between the bit and the pony's neck once. Then as pressure is applied to the neck that rein is also pulling on the side you want to go to. As a kid all of our ponies were taught to drive before riding. Dad let us ride any pony to slow for the trotting track! So breaking them to neck rein was common and that trick works well.

thanks for the suggestion FJ. :)

He does ride her in a curb..I have few tricks up my sleeve for teaching her. I can get her to neckrein..but it's off of leg..not rein. His leg isnt as strong as mine. :) 4-h county show is in 2 weeks..he's wanting to take her. Think Ill let him show the big QH mare in all the rail and showmanship classes..and show his pony in trail and the games. :)

Latest posts