Supplements

Help Support CattleToday:

A good balanced loose mineral is all we use. But, and it's a big but, our cows have been selected to perform on high endophyte fescue. Those that don't, find a new home out of the fescue belt and seem to do well there.
We also have a large componenet of clover that helps to dilute the endophyte. ADM has some mineral they call fescue buster or fescue mate or some such. Might be a good product but out cows won;t touch the stuff.

I personally don't think we need anything. Cows are doing good imo. We have had 2 loose their tail in the past two years and dad thinks that is due to fescue and improper nutrition.

I don't know if that can happen but I haven't bothered to look it up.

Fescue poisoning will make a cow loose its tail. I dont think minerals will prevent it though.

3MR":1unoh6sa said:
Fescue poisoning will make a cow loose its tail. I dont think minerals will prevent it though.

Unless it's one of the geewhiz minerals it won;t. Dilution of the fescue and/or animals adapted to the fescue are the only ways around it, in my opinion

High magnesium minerals in the spring are necessary to prevent grass tetany which is a muscular disorder that can be fatal. The grass is growing so rapidly that it has little nutrition in it, such as magnesium. Providing magnesium in the early spring is a safeguard against this nutritional deficiency.
Fescue Foot is a condition brought on by the toxins found in the fungus in endophyte infected fescue. It reduces blood flow to the extremities and they slough off. Feet, tails, and ears can be affected. Dun is dead on as usual on this this one. Dilute the grass. Encourage bermuda, bahia, dallisgrass, and crabgrass to grow. Of course, the old standby is white clover. Some cattle adapt to the infected fescue, some do not. Some research has shown that Brahman type cattle may adapt better than some other breeds. However, fertilize in late spring or early summmer to encourage summer grasses to emerge through your fescue sod.

Latest posts