Hudson Livestock Supplements

Help Support CattleToday:

Have no idea what you paid for it but it should be ok. Hudson is a well known company. Even tho fortified with vitamins and mienrals I'd still keep out mineral due to the low consumption rate of the tub.

they told me it was all natural so i thought well there is not any urea.
after i got home and looked at the ingedients and the thing that made me think it was junk was one of the main ingredients was feather mill.

cross_7":3vzaiudj said:
they told me it was all natural so i thought well there is not any urea.
after i got home and looked at the ingedients and the thing that made me think it was junk was one of the main ingredients was feather mill.
Feather meal is usually used when you're making higher protein tubs..30% or more. Using it in a tub that's only 20% protein allows them to make a less expensive more profitable product. It should still work for you.

horses not being involved what's the advantage/disadavantage of urea vs natural protein ?

cross_7":3ue6wjpb said:
horses not being involved what's the advantage/disadavantage of urea vs natural protein ?
Lower costs. Urea can be used effectively when there is plenty of low quality forage available. That is the key. The bugs in the rumen don't know or care where their source of protein comes from. Urea causes problems if forage is limited.

i was expecting cotton seed meal or soybean meal etc. when i saw the feather mill i felt like i had been duped.
even if it turns out to be ok i still won't buy it again.
i can't see paying for feathers

cross_7":1m6ogxa3 said:
Urea is a cost cutter. A tub with urea will usually contain a warning about feeding it to horses. Horses can tolerate a lot of urea. They just don't utilyze it as well as natural protein.

cross_7":osua0xsq said:
is there a tub available that uses a better source of protein instead of feather meal ?
Seems most of the lower protein tubs made by reputable companies would use soybean meal. Some companies use all inclusive labeling such as "plant protein products". This can be a variety of different ingredients. I guess the Hudson folks thought by actually disclosiong the feather meal as such they wouldn't have to use "Animal protein products" and run everyone away.

TexasBred":2l96gzt0 said:
cross_7":2l96gzt0 said:
is there a tub available that uses a better source of protein instead of feather meal ?
Seems most of the lower protein tubs made by reputable companies would use soybean meal. Some companies use all inclusive labeling such as "plant protein products". This can be a variety of different ingredients. I guess the Hudson folks thought by actually disclosiong the feather meal as such they wouldn't have to use "Animal protein products" and run everyone away.

It has always been my understanding that feather meal, which is ground chicken feathers, will show an analysis that is relatively high in crude protien, but it is about 95% unavailable even to cattle & sheep, and for this reason it has to be specifically disclosed if used in a feed. Feather meal is used because it's cheap and will boost the protien analysis making the feed appear to be better than it really is. This allows the mfg. to make a product with a comparable analysis, but sell at a cheaper price than their competitors that use higher quality ingredients that actually work.

Typical Analysis

Dry matter 92 %
Crude Protein 85.0%
Fat 03.0 %
Crude fiber 03.0 %
Neutral Detergent Fiber --- %
Acid Detergent Fiber 16.2 %
Calcium 0.45 %
Phosphorus 0.31 %
Total Digestible Nutrients 63.0 %
Net energy—Lactation 64.0 Mcal/100 lbs

High protein, less expensive than higher quality protein sources but not as bad as some think. BUT it stinks to high heaven and comes with a stigma attached much like NPN. Some of the nationwide companies use it in some dry feeds but have also picked up a considerable amount of it over the years because they set the inclusion rate to high and livestock wouldn't eat the stinking stuff. Hiding it in molasses apparently works better.

i was at a customers place today and they had rangeland tubs, so i checked their label and it also had feather meal.
i'd like to know who makes a tub with soybean meal, cotton seed mill or a quality protien and not chicken feathers

I use p v m tubs made by positive feeds I'll check the sticker and see what's in it . They have a web site if you want to look it up . I put them out with igr all summer and have very few flies .

JSCATTLE":k2ac2kyx said:
I use p v m tubs made by positive feeds I'll check the sticker and see what's in it . They have a web site if you want to look it up . I put them out with igr all summer and have very few flies .

i'd apreciate it

i don't know what all this means.
i see cs meal, but urea not more tha 7%
maybe tb can elaborate

PVM™ is a highly fortified 28% (free-choice) protein molasses supplement with an exclusive formulation designed to enhance forage utilization. PVM™ is blended with a combination of five different protein sources, essential fatty acids, trace minerals, enzymes, amino acids and much more. Due to the patented ingredient formula and cooking process, the PVM™ formula has a built-in delivery system (absorbs moisture) which limits intake to levels that supplement forage rather than replace it.
See Supplementation or Texas_A&M_University for more information.

GUARANTEED ANALYSIS
Crude Protein not less than 28.0%
(This includes not more than 7.0% equivalent protein from non-protein Nitrogen).
Crude Fat - not less than 5.0%
Crude Fiber - not more than 4.0%
Calcium, (Ca) - not less than 2.0%
Calcium, (Ca) - not more than 3.0%
Phosphorus, (P) - not less than 1.0%
Potassium (K) - not less than 2.5%
Magnesium, (Mg) - not less than 0.4%.
Iodine, (I) - not less than .006%
Ash - not more than 14.0%
Vitamin A - not less than 100,000 iu per lb..
Vitamin D3 - not less than 10,000 iu per lb
Vitamin E - not less than
Total Sugars (as invert) - not less than
50 iu per lb.
30.0%

INGREDIENTS
Cane molasses, hydrolyzed vegetable fat, lecithin, cottonseed meal, urea, Dicalcium phosphate, mono calcium phosphate, calcium carbonate, vitamin A supplement, vitamin D3 supplement, vitamin E supplement, magnesium oxide, manganese sulfate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, cobalt sulfate, sodium Selenite, Sulphur, ethylene Diamine Dihydriodide (source of iodine), dried lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation product, yeast culture (Saccharomyces Cerevisiae).

Well it's not an "all natural protein" tub which is what you were really wanting but 7% max. NPN is not a lot of urea either so a majority of the protein is from the CSM. Everything else looks pretty typical other than the fact that it does contain some yeast culture which is normally good, you just have no way of knowing if enough was put in the mix to be of any real benefit especially since it's a cooked tub and has a low consumption rate.

Ever try the mix 30 syrup? I have had good luck with it, its inexpensive and the cows stay in good shape on it but its kind of a pain in the azz to deal with( messy ).

Latest posts