Show Steer, Processing, & Supplements

Help Support CattleToday:

ffamom

Reaction score
My son sold his steer to a neighbor that is planning on processing him. He has been fed soybean oil to help him finish out. It smells just like peanut butter. Rather than sending him to the processor from the county show, he decided to bring him home for a couple of weeks to decrease the chance of a dark cutter and let the soybean oil leave his system. We bought a pig at last years county show and couldn't eat it....really sour taste. The processor felt it was the pecktlin(sp) they feed show pigs.

Do you think 2 or 3 weeks is long enough to get rid of the soybean supplement the steer was fed? Should we decrease the protein amount in his feed? Any suggests are appreciated. The other neighbors are wanting to buy finished beef from him as well. He needs happy customers so that his retired show cows can help pay his way through college.

i would say 3wks on reg feed should get the oil out of his system.dark cutters are caused from highstrung cattle.is your steer wild or crazy.

FFa, I've never seen a show pig that was worth eating. Gotta have some fat to make pork good and show pigs just don't have enough and Paylean doesn't help the taste either.

bigbull338":cfyqdkiw said:
i would say 3wks on reg feed should get the oil out of his system.dark cutters are caused from highstrung cattle.is your steer wild or crazy.
High strung animals are definitely a candidate for being dark cutters, but the stress of going to the show, being out of their routine can also increase the chances of being a dark cutter. Putting the calf back on feed for 2 to 3 weeks will reduce those chances.

Dark cutting animals are caused by a depletion of glycogen stores in the muscle. Glycogen is the source of carbohydrate energy for use by the muscles. The pH level is also higher than normal in dark cutting beef. Consumers associ

TexasBred":2z1el9ua said:
FFa, I've never seen a show pig that was worth eating. Gotta have some fat to make pork good and show pigs just don't have enough and Paylean doesn't help the taste either.

You have to bring the pigs home and put them on corn for 60 to 90 days for them to be fit to eat. Then you have to eat the meat in about 4 or 5 months, or they get strong tasteing fast. Yuk!

Our dogs have been loving us the last week or so, they have been eating pork chops, ham and bacon. Cleaning out the freezer, got a steer coming back next week. Yum!

I guess ppl that take these market animals straight to the locker plants from the shows, just don't know what good meat taste like.

Many just don't know any better. They got themselves an animal and are gonna have a freezer full of meat. :shock:

TexasBred":1w8p9jem said:

I have noticed this being a problem in the past, we usually bring ours home and feed corn for a while.

But the show market on pigs is changing a lot now. For the past 2 years we have worked towards a softer show pig with more fat. The extra lean extra muscle days are passing if you get a good judge. We have not used paylean in last two years. Now we use a lower protein feed with higher fat in it.

I think even the commercial market on pigs has realized they were getting them too lean and are trying to correct the market.

Latest posts