Sunday School

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
I was raised as a Methodist; and had stopped going to church for many years. I had decided to go back and the Sunday school lessons were read from a book each Sunday that was sent to the church. It did not teach the bible, but pertained to Christian living.

So as the Sunday school teacher read through this book, he would ask questions such as, "Do you ever pray for our political leaders?" So some of the people said, "yes,'' and said no more.
My blood pressure went up and I said, "What can you possibly pray for with who we have in the White House?" He just told the Boy Scout that they should let homosexuals in their organization. He is taking religion out of the military. He is protecting the Muslims that are coming in to kill Christians. He is for abortions and partial birth abortions?" Do we pray that he picks the right homosexual for the job?"
Then the Sunday school teacher started saying that I was making it political and started defending the President. I asked him since when did he go to the polls and vote party over Christianity on either side. This isn't about Democrat or Republican. Christianity first now and always from this point on... He told the preacher that I bought up politics in the Sundays School class, which was not so, as he asked if I prayed for the leaders.

As I was talking to the preacher, I told him about how the Sunday School teacher turned it from Christianity into politics. The preacher said that we shouldn't be talking politics in the church.

I told him that this is exactly is what is wrong with America. You have a Sunday School room in there that listened to the Sunday school teacher defend Obama doing the "right thing over politics vs Christianity, and the church stands behind it. And this is exactly what happened in Germany. I can't believe that this whole Church is going to support this. I told him that I came here to learn more about the Bible and it isn't being taught here.

I told him a lot more than what I can type, but I could not attend this church. He said, "I hate to see you go."
My mother said he gave a sermon two Sundays after that about exactly what I was speaking about. Not to go to the polls and vote for the party but vote Christianity.

I have stayed home after that, and would like to go back to a church, but I am afraid that someone else will say something about this and it sends me through the roof. I cannot keep my mouth shut about this. Once I hear people defend it, and the others will sit there and act like they don't hear it.

That is the very reason Goliath got killed because he was mocking and putting down God and David was not going to hear of it. No one else would defend God, as they ran backwards. Goliath laughed at him and David took his sling shot and God made sure that stone landed right in the center of that tiny hole in the face of his helmet.

The US was founded completely on religion. The first Bible was printed as text book for schools to keep the children from going astray. From what I can find most of the men that signed the Declaration of Independence was either a Theologian, a Minister, or a very religious person.

Does anyone else have this problem in the church of people taking a stand with Obama's practices and everyone keeping silent?

The Bible is a book of the history of Jesus and an extended descriptive discussion of who God is.

It's not a book about you and me, and I see no reason a sermon needs to be about life application. If the Bible is properly preached, and Jesus is seen clearly and rightly, all of the life application you'll ever need will be plain as day.

It took me a long time (10 years) to find a church that I felt like it was home. The one I attend is 25 miles from my house and I know I tried a lot of them that were closer before I walked into this one. For the heck of it I just looked in the phone book and there are 55 churches listed that are closer to my home. At the church I attend they do pray for our country's leaders fairly often. They don't pray for them in a political sort of way at all but rather pray that they will find and follow the will of God. I have never heard them mentioned Obama by name but they sure have implied. And wouldn't it be something if O were to find God and follow his teachings? They are pretty good at the concept of loving the sinner but hating the sin. They are pretty good about being accepting and loving yet will point out where the bible shows how we are to act. But they do it is a non-judgemental way that I think is very effective.

As I am reading the bible, I see it telling me about who we are, and what God expects from us. It teaches us about salvation and forgiveness and so many other things. It also does include history.
But our lives are lived by our beliefs, and I would expect it to be followed through at the Church. I had heard other statements before from the Sunday school teacher that made me go to the statement I made originally that let me know that he was a Sunday Christian, and on the other side of the fence through the week. But he didn't see it that way. There are some people that don't think this all the way through. Or are they playing dumb?

Maybe what I am trying to say; God can repeat what he has done before. He did flood the earth at one time and he promises to make a new earth once again.
He has taken countries that went against his laws and they lived in famine and ruins and the people killed each other and died of diseases. I see that in some countries now. I won't rule it out for the US. What has come across the border? The Muslims have run the Christians out of their country. When we rise up against the Muslims here, will Obama show up with his boys to stop us?
Some people that live against God's laws were punished. Rewards given and rewards taken away. It doesn't mean that you won't go to heaven, but who is to say that you won't live in the basement there? :lol2: Does this pertain to heaven or does it pertain to now. King David had the world by the tail until he slept with Bathsheba and killed her husband. God forgave him and he remained the king, but his family fell apart and there was much sorrow in his life afterwards.

First of all...I am a Christian!

Given that...

The Christian Bible is a book of stories, metaphors, parables, examples, and thoughts for righteous living. Any "literal" interpretation is the stretch of the imagination. For example: "Adam and Eve" fell into sin and procreated the Earth...A real stretch and would have taken thousands of years (in our own interpretation of time) to accomplish this. Would also allude to a lot of outcrossing, crossbreeding, and incest. And...they did a lot of traveling from Continent to Continent as evidenced from historic archelogical remains found across all continents and among different races of people...

I'll shut up...before I get banned or this thread gets locked down...

Chuckie":n95r04au said:
Maybe what I am trying to say; God can repeat what he has done before. He did flood the earth at one time and he promises to make a new earth once again.
He has taken countries that went against his laws and they lived in famine and ruins and the people killed each other and died of diseases. I see that in some countries now. I won't rule it out for the US. What has come across the border? The Muslims have run the Christians out of their country. When we rise up against the Muslims here, will Obama show up with his boys to stop us?
Some people that live against God's laws were punished. Rewards given and rewards taken away. It doesn't mean that you won't go to heaven, but who is to say that you won't live in the basement there? :lol2: Does this pertain to heaven or does it pertain to now. King David had the world by the tail until he slept with Bathsheba and killed her husband. God forgave him and he remained the king, but his family fell apart and there was much sorrow in his life afterwards.

The Bible is not about how to best optimize life here.

The rich young ruler was asked to give away everything and follow Jesus. He declined. So, in his sin, he was given great earthly riches. Others, like the widow who gave her single coin at the temple, was praised by God for giving everything she had, even thought it wasn't much. In her poverty, she had solidarity with God. So, what's more important ... a right view of Jesus or for things to go well here on earth?

Running Arrow Bill":sdcton9g said:
First of all...I am a Christian!

Given that...

The Christian Bible is a book of stories, metaphors, parables, examples, and thoughts for righteous living. Any "literal" interpretation is the stretch of the imagination. For example: "Adam and Eve" fell into sin and procreated the Earth...A real stretch and would have taken thousands of years (in our own interpretation of time) to accomplish this. Would also allude to a lot of outcrossing, crossbreeding, and incest. And...they did a lot of traveling from Continent to Continent as evidenced from historic archelogical remains found across all continents and among different races of people...

I'll shut up...before I get banned or this thread gets locked down...

Interesting.

So, what differentiates someone from being Christian from being non-Christian? What do you think the word "Christian" means?

Words mean things, and without a common set of definitions, it's easy to get in an argument that makes no solid points the other can understand. :)

The Bible is for us here on earth now. It is the word of God. We are to read it and follow the word of God.

Running Arrow Bill, you said that they did a lot of traveling from Continent to Continent as evidenced from historical ache logical remains. Did they find the UFO's there were riding in while they were digging? :lol2:

At my church we pray each week for those in leadership positions in our nation.

That includes the president, no matter who he is or what he stands for. If he stands for something offensive to God, we do pray with a bit more fervor. ;-)

Actually the term "Christian" is only in the bible about three times and it was a term used by those who didn't believe in Jesus to describe his follower. So there is no definition of what a Christian is. This is one of the reasons that you can find "Christians on both sides of wars, arguments, and issues. On the other side of the coin Jesus does a pretty good job of defining how his followers or disciple are to act. So what is a "Christian"? I know I have seen lots of them in church on Sunday morning that you wouldn't want to do business with on Monday. There are lots of self described Christians but followers of Jesus are a bit more scarce.

Dave":3rw1pij6 said:
Actually the term "Christian" is only in the bible about three times and it was a term used by those who didn't believe in Jesus to describe his follower. So there is no definition of what a Christian is. This is one of the reasons that you can find "Christians on both sides of wars, arguments, and issues. On the other side of the coin Jesus does a pretty good job of defining how his followers or disciple are to act. So what is a "Christian"? I know I have seen lots of them in church on Sunday morning that you wouldn't want to do business with on Monday. There are lots of self described Christians but followers of Jesus are a bit more scarce.

+1

A Christian is not necessarily a Christologist.

WalnutCrest":wgzqy3ob said:
It's not a book about you and me, and I see no reason a sermon needs to be about life application.

WalnutCrest, I couldn't disagree more. :???: :???: :???:

The Bible is the story of you and me, and God's love for us. It's about the relationship between God and man, from our creation to our salvation. It's about His Son living among and dying to redeem us.

The entire NT is the story of Jesus Christ from His birth to His crucifixion to His resurrection and ascension to heaven. He did promise He will return one day, but no one knows when.

The whole point of a sermon is how to apply what Jesus lived and taught during His time on earth to you and me here in 2014.

I'd have serious reserverations about any "church" that does not have sermons on how to apply the lessons of the Bible to our lives as a high priority.

WalnutCrest":12yose7h said:
Dave":12yose7h said:

+1

And I think we all have had times when we were "non followers" as well even though we still claimed to be "Christian". Even the "12" bailed when it was to their advantage to do so. If we were perfect we would still be living under the Law.

God is a motivated God. What motivates him? His glory. Everything else, including the salvation of the elect few (of which I hope and pray I'm one, but I do not presume to know) is a subordinate purpose. If it's not then, buy default, I'd be holding the view that the salvation of anyone is of greater importance to God than his own glory. I don't believe I'm more important than God.

Again, you'll get all the life application you'll ever need if your focus is first on understanding Jesus rightly and seeing him clearly.

John SD":13pye69n said:

That includes the president, no matter who he is or what he stands for. If he stands for something offensive to God, we do pray with a bit more fervor. ;-)

That's the way we do it here at the local Methodist Church I attend John. I'm not saying the President is a sinner as I'm not talking politics but the sinners of this world need prayers too.

TexasBred":10v4u5v6 said:
WalnutCrest":10v4u5v6 said:
Dave":10v4u5v6 said:

+1

And I think we all have had times when we were "non followers" as well even though we still claimed to be "Christian".

You bet! I try to walk humbly with God and to work out my faith with fear and trembling.

John SD":2bumlfhw said:

John that is what we are told to do.

Therefore I export first of all that supplications, prayers, intercessions, and giving of thanks be made for all men, for kings and all who are in authority, that we may lead a quiet and peaceable life in all godliness and reverence. For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our savior, who desires all men to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth.
1 Timothy 2:1-4

We are to pray for all men including those over us in authority. That includes not only the president but all government officials.
We are also told what to pray for. Their salvation and if they are already saved then that they will know the truth which is Gods word.
The reason we are to do this is,number one,so they can go to heaven. Number two, if we have leaders who follow Gods word life will be easier on us.
Chuckie, I have to agree with you that president Obama is almost hostile toward Christians and Christian doctrine but we still pray for him and the other leaders. I wonder how bad things would be right now if we didn't?

Latest posts