Summer Ranching Job Near Houston Texas

Help Support CattleToday:

new

Reaction score
Hello,

I am a college student wondering if anyone knows of anyone needing ranch help for over the summer. I have never done ranch work before and am willing to learn. I can work from 7am-3pm Monday-Friday and Saturdays and Sundays if needed but I'd prefer to have some sort of a weekend. Please let me know or if you have any information on someone looking please let me know as well. I live in The Woodlands which is about 35 mins north of Houston. Some places where ranches may be: Conroe, Magnolia, Tomball and the Klein Oak area. Thanks for any help. my email is [email protected] or [email protected]. Let me know of anything. When you contact me I can give you more info. Thanks

Jon

Hello new. I'm sure there are many ranches out there in need of help. But, many of these places will most likely include weekends and working past 3:00 p.m. Willing to learn is a very good quality to have along with willingness to work hard...very hard in order to learn.
Good luck.

Katherine

Workinonit Farm":3cyxbqqa said:
Hello new. I'm sure there are many ranches out there in need of help. But, many of these places will most likely include weekends and working past 3:00 p.m. Willing to learn is a very good quality to have along with willingness to work hard...very hard in order to learn.
Good luck.

Katherine
Sure is refreshing to see a young person wanting to learn and hopefully follow our way of life!Hang in there surely an outfit will need you.Like Katherine said, you might need to make your hours more flexible..This business can be 24x7...But get your foot in the door! Good luck.

Thanks for your replies. I am definetly willing to work hard. As for the hours, they may become more flexible, but I need to decide some thing important in the next few weeks. Is there any place that I can look?

Check with you County Extension Agent, a local vet, or local feed stores to see if they know of any ranchers that need summer help or have any help wanted flyers.

Not to discourage you, but, you may have waited a little late to start looking, most ranchers in my area hired their summer help back in Feb. and March.

Good Luck.

New

You make your decisions first. Then get in the truck or car or whatever.

Pick your area and go for a drive. 90% of the lanes you go up will not throw you off the property until you have your say - the others will just turn you around quiet like. Just watch out for the family "pet"! LOL

Remove any jewellry you might have (if you have any) from your ears and such. Put on a clean pair of jeans and a pair of clean work boots. Have some leather gloves and a hat handy - you might strike gold pretty quick and I would bet your hands are fairly soft - that will change I can assure you.

Go to the door and knock. Be polite. Take a resume if you want. Make sure you have a couple of references. They will be checked.

Best time to show up - early. 0730 - 0800 and you will find folks thinking about either having breakfast after morning chores, or going out from breakfast. Next time is right around noon. This place has a tendency to be best if you show at around 1630 - someone is always home at that time. We generally start out at about 0530.

Tell them you are looking for work and know nothing about the business. Tell them you are available at all times - hence making your "decision" first.

You go to work as a hand at my place we expect you to come when called - work when asked - and no back talk.

In return we generally pay on time - the cheques are always good. We feed our hands at our table and if necessary we bed 'em for the time we need them close by. So, manners and cleanliness are important - if you do not have them do not bother knocking.

Bonuses do happen - usually not in money. If you live at home with parents, you will end up taking home fesh vegetables from the garden - provided you have helped / some meat from the freezer at times - provided you were involved in the raising / shop is available for minor projects on your own time - provided you immediately replace what you use.

You will not be a friend or respected person until you have earned it. When that happens, you will find work is just as tough, but around here you will know you are on the upswing when my wife takes the 4-wheeler or the truck and delivers you a drink or snack in the field because you are out in the hot and working your butt off. She is the true test here. If she stays away from you, plan on looking for work elsewhere.

Most places you will deal with the husband or foreman - but the ladies on the land usually have the largest say - at least in this area - so treat 'em well or plan on moving along.

You'll work your @ss of on schitzen jobs for a bit - just to see if you have any staying power. Once you're proved out - might take a few months - you'll get some pretty good responsibility - and the pay goes up. IF the money is available.

Find a place like mine that has no money, you'll work even harder - but you will be treated well. That is why I said we generally pay on time - but I guarantee we always pay - you are on the top of the pile when the money comes in.

Show some interest and you might get the first orphan as your own to look after - raise - and do with as you see fit. Two young girls in the neighbourhood are now raising a few of their own after starting with us a while back on an "as needed" basis. we generally do not have the time to fuss with calves that are on their own - so we sell them at the barn or give them to selected folks who can benefit from them.

Even though there are many who will not need your help, the talking circle is big - that person may find you a job with someone else.

So git out on the road and start looking.

It is a schitzen life at times and yet there are times you will be the richest person on earth - and I ain't talking money. You will meet all types, but they will give you the respect you earn.

Put your notice up in every feed store and sale barn you can find. tell them you have a strong back and are not afraid of work. Tell them you are drug free and crime free. If you are not, it will be found out soon enough anyway. You might not like the treatment you get when you are asked to leave.

Look and listen lots - talk little. Ask questions before striking out to do something. Remember that dirty rancher or farmer with dust or grease on him / her has risked much to allow you on the place.

They risk everything on a daily basis to put food on their own table and hold the tax man at bay. They may not be educated, and they may talk different - but if they are still in the business, they are likely pretty savvy folks. Prove yourself to the folks that take the risk and you will never be out of work.

You will never get rich, but it may give you a new perspective on life. Do not be looking for "overtime" - it ain't there.

That's how I got started almost 35 years ago - it is no different today.

Stay well,

Bez

Take what Bez says to heart....if you're looking to get rich, then go elsewhere, but if you're looking to be rewarded in other ways, then find a good ranch job. And remember, you are gonna start out on the bottom anywhere you go. Much like my business, we dont put new guys on the newest, most expensive machines until they've proven themself to be knowledgeble and responsible. So plan on doing some mucking and some loading before you ever get to drive the manure spreader or even get close to the high dollar balers and good tractors.
Dont let money be you're driving force, and hang around as much as possible after hours on your own time and watch the other hands / owner do things that need to be done. Most guys wont be afraid to show you how to do something, but not alot of guys can afford to train you at wages.
You sound pretty young and probably dont have a family responsibility at this time, so now is the time to put in some long hours at low wages and learn as much as you can, before you start raising a family and other responsibilities take over. Not sure what's more important than work to you at this time, but get in there and get on someones payroll as soon as possible.

I would print out Bez's advice and make it my life creed if I were you. No truer words can be found. Having the right look, right attitude, and right words are your first step if you ever hope to get in the door. No sirs and yes ma'ams are more important than you think. Hard work will get you past the man of the place but you need everything else to get past the woman of the place. You'll never make it if you can't pass muster with the missus. You'll never believe how much her opinion matters. I haven't seen a place yet that has set hours like it sounds you want so you may need to think REAL hard on that. If you are baling for me and you quit at 3 - don't come back tomorrow. I hope you are serious in this endeavor - you'll never find a more rewarding way of life. I'm flat broke but I love it! Think I will now print out Bez's advice myself and have them framed for my children. Thanks Bez!

Let us know if you still decide to go into ranching after reading all these responses. Would like to know what you decide. Don't want to be harsh or try to run you off. Just want you to know realistically what ranchers are expecting in help.

Thanks so much for your replies. Just to let ya'll know, I have absolutly no problem with hardwork at all. At my job last summer which was "manual labor" I was out in the sun all day. But I think my boss would agree that I worked incredibly hard and busted my ass for him. In fact I was always looking for something to do immediatly after I finished the job they wanted me to do. This is a philosophy my parents have instilled into me, WORK HARD and I believe I do that. Yes I understand the problems with the hours and again this may not be an issue. The important decision to me is whether or not I want to walk-on as a D-1 wrestler or football player at my school. If I am going to wrestle, then I have to work from 7-3, then train in wrestling 4-6ish and then lift and run 8-10 almost everyday except the weekends. If I decided to do football, I have nobody really to train me at home so I will just have to do the lifting and running on my own later at night and the hours will not be a problem.

I am still interested in ranching. My only problem is I feel that I may get to attached to the animals, and when it comes time to brand if neccessary I really dont think I could. But bailing hay, shoveling manure is really no problem for me. Trust me I like to work hard, I love the benefits in the end. And although my hands are not hard from ranch work, they are hard and calloused from hours I spend in the weightroom to achieve my goals.

The only other problem is the month commitment. I will only be able to work half of May, June, and July and yes money is somewhat a concern. While I plan on getting a job when I am back at school I am going to have to pay for food, car payments and car insurance so I was hoping to save money over the summer to help ease my burden while I am at school.

Again, I hope I do not come off the wrong way to all of you. Trust me, I am willing to work hard and I am always willing to learn. To work my way from the bottom to the top is something I know I have to do. And of course I truly respect people who bust their a** day in and day out. I have more respect for farmers and ranchers then for most CEO's of Fortune 500 companies. Please let me know if there is anything else or some info I can provide ya'll on. Thanks again and if I came off arogant I apologize as this is not my intent at all.

You did not come off as arrogant. Just wasn't sure if you had the full picture of what ranching entailed. I would tell a possible employer the things you said in your last post. A lot of times the person will understand and try to work with you. Your first post kind of sounded like you wanted an easy 9 to 5 type thing. If they know the why of your hours, you just might get somewhere. We use high school kids and work with their activities as much as possible. Usually have 3 or 4 of them at a time so that when one can't, maybe another can. Just realize that anytime you cut your own hours like that - it tells in the pocketbook. You may not be able to make enough in any job to save up like you want. Do the math to see what you need, then try to find the job that will fill that. Good Luck.

Shoot Farmhand, I wish I was staying in school this summer, maybe I could work for you if you would let me. But yeah, its not like I was going to get off at 3 and then go home to lay around all day. I would be getting off at 3 to go bust my butt for another 3-4 hrs.

new":3aopxq11 said:
My only problem is I feel that I may get to attached to the animals, and when it comes time to brand if neccessary I really dont think I could.
It's nice for a person to admit their faults up front. That one shot you down, far as I'm concerned. If you can't get over it, I'd suggest you look for something else to do. Good luck!

New,
If you find that ranch job work hard...I'm sure you will. When you leave make sure it on a good note. Someday when the time comes you may be making a resume. Be sure to put on there you worked as a ranch/farm hand. Ask your boss to be a reference for you. Chances are your perspective boss would be impressed to see you worked on a farm. They know as well as us how hard and demanding farm work can be. If you can work well on a farm any other job would be a peice of cake. Employers know this. Good luck. Remember have fun. That is why we farm and ranch.

Texan":2787o3os said:
new":2787o3os said:
My only problem is I feel that I may get to attached to the animals, and when it comes time to brand if neccessary I really dont think I could.
That one shot you down, far as I'm concerned.

I disagree Texan. Once the reasoning is explained, the chances are he will come through. I have been around cattle most of my life. I dislike branding, but I know why it's necessary and I do my part every year. I also have a tendancy to get attached to the animals, but that has never stopped me from doing what was necessary, be it poking a pill down their throats or sticking a needle in their butts or anything in between.

Now come on, lets not be too hard on the lad. Give him some credit, not many city dwellers have what it takes to even inquire on such a position. It seems to me some of you are using this post as a way to pat yourselves on the back. I know as well as anyone what kind of work is involved with farming / ranching. I've grown up on a 300hd / 5000 acre spread.

However, a willing, hard working hand is always welcome by our standards. Just because the lad doesnt want to run a branding iron, by all means there is plenty of other work needing to be done. I dont know too many foreman who would throw a newbie on the iron right off the get go anyhow. Plenty of other jobs involving working cattle. If he likes the animals,.....let him be the pusher, lots of one on one contact. ;-)

I congratulate the younster for his ambition. This is a something that is lacking in 97.9 % of all youth today. Dont let this post discourage you son, there's a job out there for you someplace, just keep lookin.

Heck, in the summertime, you could kill two birds with one stone...spend all day in the hay field loading hay on trailers, and you wont be needing no weight room activity that night! Ranching is a pretty physical job, especially when you get the newbie jobs. ;-)

What shots would belong in the butt? All recommendations I have heard are to now give all shots in the neck. Have been to a realizer steer program and after seeing what happens with bad management - I will give NO shots anywhere but the neck.

Latest posts