Suggestions? Angus bulls that suit the North country

Help Support CattleToday:

my dad made the comment that he can't believe how easy it is now with these cows and the right genetics with cows suited to their environment.
Your dad is a wise man. Drinking the Kool Aid will sooner rather than latter come home to roost.

Nice to hear both sides of the cow size debate. In our area smaller cows don't seem to consistently produce it wears them down quicker and the supersize cows do fine but typically won't raise a big enough calf to pay for keeping her around. Also the market for short legged stout cattle is disappointing. We shipped a beautiful 450 lb steer or at least I thought it was a good one lol, and as it went through the sale ring the auctioneer couldn't get a bid. At dinner break I asked the manager what was wrong with that calf it was perfectly healthy. So we went out back to look at him and he said the market is tough right now and he said it was just too small short and wouldn't finish at a big enough weight. Ended up settling on a price for him but that made me reconsider what kind of bulls to use. Some areas there might be demand for smaller calves but here I know where my pay check comes from so u gotta raise what there's demand for.
I agree with finding the most efficient cow and easyfleshing and keeping cow size under control but u have to keep in mind what buyers want and what pays best for them to feed and finish. Hence the need to find AI bulls that raise calves that fit the market here.

Nice to hear both sides of the cow size debate. In our area smaller cows don't seem to consistently produce it wears them down quicker and the supersize cows do fine but typically won't raise a big enough calf to pay for keeping her around. Also the market for short legged stout cattle is disappointing. We shipped a beautiful 450 lb steer or at least I thought it was a good one lol, and as it went through the sale ring the auctioneer couldn't get a bid. At dinner break I asked the manager what was wrong with that calf it was perfectly healthy. So we went out back to look at him and he said the market is tough right now and he said it was just too small short and wouldn't finish at a big enough weight. Ended up settling on a price for him but that made me reconsider what kind of bulls to use. Some areas there might be demand for smaller calves but here I know where my pay check comes from so u gotta raise what there's demand for.
I agree with finding the most efficient cow and easyfleshing and keeping cow size under control but u have to keep in mind what buyers want and what pays best for them to feed and finish. Hence the need to find AI bulls that raise calves that fit the market here.
I'm taking a small group of 15 calves to sale next thurs. They are all may calves, weaned and vacc. Normally I would hold them and sell at the beginning of January, but with the drought it makes sense to start selling off calves and a couple culls. I will probably just buy a few more bred heifers from the friend I normally buy replacements from. Makes more sense to feed them hay for a couple months than the calves. I'll post what they bring after the sale.

Just got done at the salebarn. The 15x calves from the May calving group (weaned 45 days) I took averaged 536lbs and brought $168 cwt which puts their ADG at about 1.98lbs....not bad for a really bad drought year. No grain. They had hay after weaning and a 21% tub. That's it. I normally would have held them for an extra week or two but needed to get them gone this year. You don't need a large frame to wean decent calves. I'll take 2lbs ADG In a drought year all day.

Latest posts