Sugar Beet Shreds

Help Support CattleToday:

Stocker Steve

Reaction score
It looks like beet shreds and beet tailings on the only good buys in this area. Must not be fit for hogs and turkeys. :cboy:

Any suggestions on how to feed these?

I used to dig them fresh and throw them in a brush/yard shredder. Fed About 1 per head lose in the feeder

Stocker Steve":1l3kvrm5 said:
It looks like beet shreds and beet tailings on the only good buys in this area. Must not be fit for hogs and turkeys. :cboy:

Any suggestions on how to feed these?

Is the leftover product left after extracting the juice? Still wet???

You can feed it like silage. The energy is usually alittle higher but the protien is usually lower. If you're getting tailings, the energy is higher yet being the suger hasn't been extracted but be careful so they dont choke, we've never had any trouble but a few neighbors tried feeding the tailings to young steers and lost three with the first load. If its a muddy harvest season expect to get you're fair share of mud along with the tailings.
Pulp is more desirable to feed but its harder to come buy due to its popularity and costs more if you try to buy it pressed or even dried.
All in all its pretty good feed.
:cowboy:

I haven't, but that's not to say it wouldn't work. I think you may have trouble with it spoiling if it were too warm being it most likely (dont know for sure) wont pack right and perhaps freezing if it were too cold. I've piled and packed the pulp and it seems to work the best. When pulp isnt available I'll take taillings and feed it with a Bobcat. A crust freezes a bit if it isn't covered but they'll still eat it and if you mix the frozen chunks in, they'll thaw from the fermentation.
If you try it, let me know how it go's.

Seems like they are more available in the fall,
so I thought about running a long pile east/west and self feeding off the south side.
I would pack it with a tractor but am still concerned about heating...

Shreds are getting pretty moldy on top with the warmer weather. Cattle still like them. Got the lab test results:

DM 30%
CP 8%
ADF 28%
Crude Fiber 22%

Latest posts